Wednesday, June 3, 2009

This Time I'm No Help At All

Fancy Car with the Hood Up
Originally uploaded by

When I was driving home from work on Monday, I saw my neighbor stopped at a stop sign on our street with the hood of his car up. I pulled alongside and asked him if he was having car trouble. No. Did he need a ride? No. He came over to my window and said, "Don't think I'm crazy, but I'm hearing kitten noises." I must have given him a strange look because he repeated, "Don't think I'm crazy."

I watched as he lifted his air filter out to see if there were any small creatures hidden below it. He checked for my reaction. "I'm glad you didn't find any in there!" I responded. He continued checking his back seat and under the car. I didn't see any way I could help him so I drove on home.

Later on while walking my dog across the street from his house, he called out loudly, "Don't think I'm crazy!" This time he had his wife beside him confirming there were indeed kitten noises. I didn't want to create any additional problems by bringing my large dog next to the car so I continued my walk.

I don't know if my neighbor's aware of my hearing loss or not. He didn't seem to understand that I wasn't going to be able to confirm the kitten noises for him. He just thinks I think he's crazy.

I'll send my husband over soon to find out if there really were kittens hiding in the car or not. I tend to avoid crazy people.


Deafinitely said...

Haha! Are you sure he's not just crazy!?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Pretty sure. He's seemed normal up to now, ha, ha. Auditory hallucinations aren't unheard of - but any soft or high frequency ones would definitely be unheard by me!

ms toast burner said...


I have heard of cats getting into cars to have kittens... so he could be hearing kittens...

Looking forward to an update!

Karen Mayes said...

Like Ms. Toast Burner mentioned, it is not uncommon for the cats to get inside the car's engines to have litters or to keep warm, especially during the cold winters.

Hope he'd find the kittens or figured out what the sound was and where it was coming from by now...

jelly said...

So did the car have kittens or not?

I'm curious that is for sure!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hope you all read my update. It would seem more likely if it were actually cold here but I'm not saying it isn't possible.

Luckily no kittens emerged looking like the one in the photo I found on flickr.

kim said...

I'm glad there were no kitties in the car. I'm pretty sure if you had told him you couldn't hear he wouldn't have understood. They never do. You have to explain in great detail. And when people are distracted like that guy was looking for kitties, then they aren't in the mood for listening to a looong explanation about hearing loss and why you don't sign and why you talk and how hearing aids don't really 'cure' deafness. . .(sigh) But I'm glad there weren't any. And maybe the guy really IS crazy.