Monday, February 27, 2012

I Want All My Friends to Read This

Today a dear friend handed me an article cut out from Sunday's newspaper. The clipping was a My Turn story by a hard of hearing woman. It began

Imagine yourself in a country where nobody speaks your language. It becomes a necessity to rely on your other senses and hone your powers of observation...Each situation is stressful: Will you be a participant or an observer?

In twelve paragraphs, author Terri Goldstein eloquently describes what life is like for a hard of hearing person, someone who's not deaf but not quite hearing either. She writes about having to plan carefully for social success all the while dreading the inevitable gaffes that are so very mortifying. She even spells out exactly the kind of friend needed to make communication less stressful.

After reading the article, I wrote a quick thank you email to my friend saying, "I wish all of my friends could read it!" Fortunately, they can as the story is available online through the LA Times. I highly recommend this article to you all.

5 comments:

Xpressive Handz said...

This is so eloquently written, and I'm so glad you posted this, Sarah.

Liz said...

That is a great article and certainly something I reflect with and agree with. I'm sure many others like ourselves will be nodding their head as they read it.

Great for hearing people to read too.

Xpressive Handz said...

Sarah, I shared this article on my blog post and I also posted your blog address.

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing this!! It is so well said. I would like to share it on my blog as well with credit to you. Hearing impairment is an 'invisible disability". It can be tough to reach out and ask for help or even be able to anticipate what and when help is needed. Your blog is great. I appreciate your thoughts and insights.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Feel free to post on your blog too.
All the best,
Sarah