Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Everything's Coming Up Roses....in my kitchen!


I took this photo recently while on a walk in my neighborhood. I love roses but don't have any in my yard. Imagine that! But I'm not deprived as roses bloom all year round in my kitchen.

It's quite possible that I may have one of the only rose themed kitchens in the world. I've googled rose kitchen often to look for ideas but I guess I'm one of a kind in my decorating taste. The photos below illustrate how my rosy kitchen has developed over the years.

This is what our kitchen looked like when we moved in. Pretty bland with plain white cabinetry and gray and light pink trim.


I really liked the black and white floor tiles but wasn't crazy about that light fixture.

As newlyweds, our first decorating project was to put up the rose ceiling border you see in this photo. In the summer of 1995 I repainted the cabinets white and changed the trim color from gray to light blue.

In the late 90s, we replaced our black and white kitchen tiles which had become black and gray over time with brand new black and white tiles laid in exactly the same pattern. Before the new flooring was laid, I repainted the kitchen walls and cabinet doors a creamier white and changed the light blue trim color to a darker shade of blue.

Fast forward to the summer of 2006 when I stenciled roses onto the cabinets. This was an idea I had been mulling for some time. Finally I decided to just go for it. Since we had a variety of kitchen drawer/cabinet door styles, I used several rose patterns. If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you can see this better. You'll also notice I used a darker pink paint color where the light pink had been an accent. [You can click on each photo to see it larger.]



This next photo shows a play cupboard my grandfather made for me and my sister when we were little girls. This corner in my kitchen is the perfect spot for it. I painted it to match our kitchen cupboards and added a stencil message "Sugar and Spice Everything Nice". I keep my decorative sugars and spices in the top and my flour, sugar, and baking pans in the bottom.



Here's a closeup of the rose calendar that sits on top of the cupboard. Isn't it sweet?


Here's how our eating area looks today. I just love our more contemporary light fixture and the large sized floral picture on the wall.


I have a few more rose touches to share with you. I inherited this rose sugar bowl from my grandmother. I bought the Home Sweet Home sign at Target.


While accompanying my neighbor who was shopping for kitchen curtains, I came across these lovely rose lace curtains. My neighbor who didn't find anything she liked insisted I get these. I'm glad she did!


Jelly often posts pictures of items she wishes for on her blog, so here's a teapot and an apron I think would be perfect for my rose kitchen.

[Rose shabby chic cupcake originally uploaded on flickr by kylie lambert.] This cupcake was just made for my kitchen. Wouldn't you agree?

5 comments:

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

I fell in love with your rosy kitchen! So impressive by your great taste! Thanks for showing us! My kitchen has some roosters and antique stuff. The kitchen curtains have some roosters on them. I like flowers too, and have few pictures of flowers on the wall in my kitchen.

Deafinitely said...

Love it! Do you have Cath Kidston in America? She'd be right up your street I reckon. Have a look at http:www.cathkidston.com.
DG

ms toast burner said...

Oh, I love looking at other people's homes! Very rosey indeed, Sarah.

:-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, everyone!

DG I just checked out Cath Kidston. Love her stuff - especially this. I think the English are more into the rose look.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I received this comment by email from my sister-in-law who of course has actually been in my kitchen:

I love the pictures of the kitchen. It's beautiful. So many nice touches, and you did all of that.