Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy to Help You

I enjoy helping people at the library. I don't mind assisting a library patron with even the most basic request like making change or explaining how to operate the photocopier. Helping someone at the computer is a real thrill for me because I had to learn all of it myself when I came back to work after being a stay-at-home mom.

Recently someone who works in the university asked for my help in locating a video project that was made of the local Native American community about fifteen years ago. She had checked out the videos in our library collection and none of them were the right ones. What a challenge! Right away I thought of this "secret" room where a lot of old media is stored. I had visited it once about five years ago when I was working on a library archives project. This room wasn't located inside the library and I couldn't remember exactly where in the university it was. Long story short, I consulted the archives librarian who asked the right media department person who said it wasn't there. Drat. I really wanted to find this. The woman looking for it told me a poet featured in the video had recently died and the Native American community remembered they had never received a copy as promised so long ago. I really wanted to help but there wasn't much I could do since we didn't have a copy in the library's collection.

So I was absolutely floored the next day when this person came into the library to see me with a card and gift to say thanks! Look how nicely she wrote my name on the card!

Inside the envelope was this card:


Inside the card were these earrings!!!

With the card were these canned blueberries. Yummy!

Inside her card, she wrote "...Even if nothing is found, please know that your help is very much appreciated." Awww, I got teary eyed and gave her a hug. I'm not used to this kind of appreciation! I just like to help because it makes life better. What a great day to be at work!

P.S. We still haven't given up hope that the video will be found. We're continuing to ask people around the university. The more people who are aware of our search, the more likely it will be found (I hope).

6 comments:

ms toast burner said...

What a wonderful story, Sarah!

:-) Makes me feel happy!

jelly said...

fantastic. nice to know there are still some people out there who are appreciative of the help we can give to one another.

you rock! and you are the best librarian!! in the blogosphere!!

:-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, ms. toast burner and jelly!!!

Hey, I just noticed that your names together make up a breakfast food, *smiles*.

Anonymous said...

You are appreciated. Tigerman

l1zblog said...

How lovely ~:)

Danielle said...

Beautiful Story!