Saturday, June 6, 2009

Shampoo Banana and other funnies at work this week

During an informal department meeting my boss announced that he was going to "Shampoo Banana" the next day. Puzzled I turned to the Web Goddess for clarification. "You heard right", she assured me, "Shampoo Banana is a nickname for Champagne-Urbana [where University of Illinois is located]. "Oh," I replied, "I thought he was having his pet groomed."

This summer I've been fortunate to have the assistance of a wonderful student worker from India. He's a very polite person. He sends me emails addressed to "Most esteemed Sarah". Kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you agree? When he first started working with me, I explained to him about my hearing loss and the need for him to face me when he speaks. Yesterday, he startled the bejeezus out of me when I looked up suddenly and he was right there asking me a question. I jumped and my chair rolled backwards and my arms flew up in the air. He was terribly embarassed but at the same time amused. I helped him out by laughing with him. It was pretty funny. I reminded him that I can't hear too well. To his credit, the next time he had a question, he stayed back a good distance and called my name first. After all, that's the proper way to approach such an esteemed person as moi.

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up the telephone and heard the following words from my former boss in cataloging, "I think I have the answer to your environmental toxicology problem." I said, "What are you talking about?" She elaborated with a few more details and a dim light turned on in my head. "Is this from an email about an electronic journal I sent you?" I asked. "Yes," she replied. "What was the date on that email?" I asked next. "February," she replied.

3 comments:

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

This is so funny! Thanks for making my day, Sarah!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Glad you enjoyed it. *Smile*
Sarah

jelly said...

Funny stuff!!