Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dear Readers

When I put myself out on cyberspace via a personal blog, I wondered who in the world would be reading my posts. At first it seemed that no one was reading them or even aware that my blog existed. I had to twist the arms of friends and family members to take a look and plead for them to leave a comment. With their encouragement and the support of another blogger, I added my blog to DeafRead, a blog aggregator. That really boosted my readership.

Becoming part of DeafRead also made me aware of how many terrific blog writers there are on the subject of hearing loss. I actually started my blog because I wanted to create a site with the kind of information I was desperate for when I first learned I had a hearing loss. I wanted to know if what I was experiencing was "normal" LOL. There was no one I knew personally that I could ask and I hated to keep pestering my audiologist when I came in for my appointments. I also wanted to share the funny stories my adjustment to life with hearing loss and hearing aids seemed to generate.

When comments started to appear on my blog, I was thrilled. There were people out there who understood, who could laugh with me, and even better, educate and inspire me.

Once I made an email address available, I received some personal notes from readers. So far I have heard from a library school student, another hard of hearing librarian, a late deafened adult who has had a positive experience with life after hearing loss, a fellow headache sufferer and hearing aid wearer, and a doctoral student in audiology. I've enjoyed corresponding with them all.

Several weeks ago I hit a personal low and deleted my blog. I was really surprised how disappointed some people were. At least the ones who could tell me that to my face! Thankfully, I got my act together and decided to see if I could salvage some of my favorite posts and rebuild what I could and start fresh.

Dear readers, this blog would not be worth the screen time without you. Thank you for sharing this journey with me.


moi said...

I'm glad you're back. :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, moi! I just read through the recent entries on your blog and now I understand the DeafRead controversies much better. I've always tried to steer clear of the debates on DeafRead because I am so new to the community. I liked your post on what your house says about you. That's something I'd like to write about too.

Karen said...

Welcome back!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you, Karen. You are certainly one of the bloggers who has inspired me!

gnarlydorkette said...

Glad to have you back! I do read your blog frequently (I love to venture out to the "Extra" section) and loved to read about your experiences. I was born Deaf so I never experience the loss of a sense like you did. For me, it is just absent-- not lost. So I learned a lot from your blog.

I love to read about your job-- I regret that I didn't get involved with the library. (I didn't realize that there are majors like "Library Sciences"! I thought the love of reading books is sufficient to get hired as a librarian! ;-) )

Keep on bloggin'!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks gnarlydorkette. I've enjoyed reading your experiences in DC especially with the cold weather. *smile*

Kim said...

I've not been reading blogs much this summer and I didn't realize you deleted!! I have you in my google reader, so have been catching up there whenever time has allowed I'm so glad you're back because I definitely WOULD HAVE MISSED YOU!!!

I know what you mean about no one responding to your posts. I swear no one reads mine either.

Jonathan said...

Just thought I'd drop a line: I've been enjoying reading your blogs especially those related to your job and the challenges of being hoh at your job. I have thought about getting into library sciences and was thrilled to find a blog of a hoh person working at a library!

So now you know that your blogs are appreciated by somoeone! :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Kim.
I feel like you are my mentor. You are always great about posting comments here. Thank you! I think everybody reads YOUR blog because you write so thoughtfully and you have contributed a voice of reason through the various DeafRead conflicts. Later, I will post about what brought me to my low point - it was a work situation directly related to my hearing loss. I need to get some space from it first and the situation isn't totally resolved yet. I'm really touched that you would have missed me. I must get in touch with the Say What Club people soon.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for your kind words, Jonathon. There are many exciting opportunities in library science work these days - way more than just the stereotypical library filled with dusty books. I'm in transition to a new position in Digital Resources. I will blog more about that in August. I'm not sure if you are HOH from your comment, but if you are, I think the future in this field is bright as libraries incorporate virtual reference and other online services that are more text-based than face-to-face.

Steve Claridge said...

You've been in my RSS reader forever - I love reading your blog. Don't leave again!

Blogging about my hearing has been great for me too. I started to lose my hearing at a young age and I didn't really ever meet anyone else in the same boat. Even now that I'm getting older I still don't really know many other deaf/HoH people so reading and talking with other bloggers and getting comments from people on blog posts has been great.

Does your library offer any digital ebooks or journals as well as dead trees? Just being nosey as I work for Taylor And Francis (Informa) and I used to work for Ingenta so I've been serving librarians with digital content for a few years now!

All the best,

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for telling me that - you must have been one of my first readers *smile*. Yes, my library has ebooks through NetLibrary and we are beginning to aquire journals digitally as well. I may be asking you some questions as I start learning my new job!

Cindy said...

No, no, no, PLEASE DON'T DELETE your wonderful blog!! I know I've neglected mine, but I have been going through something - and not even working as a Librarian. In a few days, I have a mediation meeting with the Library's attorney, with the Director and Assistant Director of my denomination's religious liberty department representing me. Once everything is cleared up, I should be able to write about this experience.

Even though I haven't been staying current, I do sit down and read it from time to time! You have a lot to contribute - please keep writing!


Deb Ann said...

I was worried when I noticed your blog's posts were deleted. I'm so thrilled that you came back, and I really enjoy this journey with you all the way! It helps me to understand my friend better through you ,since I'm so different from her. Keep on blogging, my precious friend, Sarah :)
Deb Ann
Hello Kim,
Would you welcome to your blog, too?

Jenny Schwartzberg said...

I'm enjoying your blog. I'm a rare book librarian at the Newberry Library in Chicago. I was born profoundly deaf and am oral. I will have to check out the DeafRead controversies though I'm very unfamiliar with the Deaf community. I'm always happy to talk to other HOH or deaf librarians. There don't seem to be many of us, at least in my personal experience.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

It's good to hear from you, Cindy!
I hope you will be blogging again soon.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Deb Ann!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jenny,
Wow. How lucky are you to work at the Newberry Library! We have a very small collection of "rare books" at my university library. Mainly they are old books from the main collection that one of the librarians deems worthy of moving to our archives. I enjoyed checking out your blog. One of my favorite series of books from my childhood was the Wizard of Oz series by L.Frank Baum. My father used to collect them.