Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Getting Ready for ALA

Tomorrow I'll be attending my first American Library Association Conference. I'm pretty excited as I've been a librarian for a long time and never been selected to attend until now.

As regular readers of my blog know, I've gotten three other conferences under my belt in the last year and a half, so I should be able to navigate this event just fine. All the same I was pleased when an ALA conference ambassador contacted me by email. She provided a warm welcome and lots of helpful information.

I also received an email from the instructors of a 2 day training session I'm attending. As I didn't ask for any specific accomodations when I registered for the conference, I thought I'd ask them about the format of this training. Listening all day can be exhausting for me, especially when there's no visuals! Fortunately this event features Power Point slides which should help a lot. On top of that, when one of the instructors read in my email that I'm hard of hearing, he graciously offered to reserve a seat for me in the front. Perfect. From my previous conference experiences, I've learned that a seat in the front is the best accomodation for me.

Google Maps: Downtown Chicago

Today I reviewed the logistics of travelling to Chicago and finding my way to the conference locations. Thank goodness for Google Maps and online train schedules.

For my librarian readers: Are any of you going to be at ALA? Have you been to past ALA conferences? Any advice on accomodating a hearing loss in this situation?


jelly said...

I'm not a librarian, but an avid reader, does that count?
Well, have a good time at your conference, post some photos of Chicago, I haven't been there in years.

Mog said...

Ive been to a conference in Chicago. I still smile at the memory ;-)

Otherwise, take your time, find the quiet room for some time out. Pace yourself. Do you have and ALDs to use at all? FM systems are good.

Have fun, remember you can always email the speaker afterwards if you missed a point.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Of course, you count! I hadn't thought of taking pictures in Chicago. There's not much of a walk between the train and the conference location. Maybe on Saturday I could spend some free time taking photos.