Friday, July 10, 2009

ALA: Day Two



Yesterday I referred to the numerous acronyms that were part of my training sessions. I thought I'd serve you up a small helping of our program's acronym soup. I'll be interested to know how many (if any) of these acronyms you've ever encountered.

RDA Resource Description Access
DC Dublin Core
METS Metadata Encoding Transmission Standards
MODS Metadata Object Description Schema
DLF Digital Library Federation (has a Star Trek ring to it, doesn't it)
NSDL National Science Digital Library
MADS Metadata Authority Description Schema
VRA Visual Resources Association
FRAD Functional Requirements for Authority Data
VIAF Virtual International Authority File
SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System
ONIX Online Information Exchange

Hungry for more? How about this mouthful: OAI-PMH Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting? Generally the terms were defined once and then ever afterwards referred to by acronym. Heh, you want to fit in with the metadata crowd, don't name drop - acronym drop!

Today I had a more deaf friendly day. I had the same speakers as yesterday and today they consistently remembered to repeat participants' questions and comments. I am so impressed I am going to make a point of noting it on the evaluation form.

I had lunch with the new friend I made yesterday. We didn't discuss metadata once. Instead we swapped stories of our hearing loss experiences. We let each other know when the wait staff were hovering just behind us as neither of us could sense their presence when they were out of view. We talked about how we don't quite fit into the hearing world or the "capital D" Deaf world. We discussed ASL and we gradually began incorporating it into our conversation. It was great getting to know her better and I hope we will stay in touch after the conference ends.

CSDGM Content Standards

5 comments:

Discpad said...

MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Engineer

PCM/CIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

kim said...

Totally awesome soup picture! Glad you're having a nice time. :-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Dan! Welcome to my blog. The acronyms in your comment made me smile.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Kim. Wish you could be here.

Patty said...

Hi Sarah,
Just got home yesterday and took today to recuperate. Finally dug out your card (my hotel didn't have free Internet & I was too cheap). You've got a great blog here, with lots of good information. I'm going to enjoy looking around. I really enjoyed having lunch with you last week. Patty