Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Song by Sia

One nice thing about having my coworkers aware of my hearing loss is that sometimes they show me something online I would otherwise have missed. A great example is this video of Sia performing on the David Letterman show last fall.



I love Sia's artistry and her colorful hands using ASL to express the meaning of her song. Sia has an even more creative and beautiful rendition posted on YouTube which she doesn't allow for embedding on blogs. You can see it here.

Sia is a pop singer from Australia. She explained in a press release that she chose to use ASL in this song because "I've always been obsessed with the beauty of sign language. To ignorant hearing me, the movement and expression appears as a dance — a beautiful, emotive dance. But the real beauty is the communication hidden within these perfect shapes."
You can find out more about Sia at Wikipedia.

Lyrics for "Soon We'll Be Found"

Come along it is the break of day
Surely now, you'll have some things to say
It's not the time for telling tales on me

So come along, it won’t be long
'Til we return happy
Shut your eyes, there are no lies
In this world we call sleep
Let's desert this day of hurt
Tomorrow we'll be free

Let's not fight I'm tired can't we just sleep tonight
Don't Turn away it's just there's nothing left here to say
Turn around I know we're lost but soon we'll be found

Well it's been rough but we'll be just fine
Work it out yeah we'll survive
You mustn't let a few bad times dictate

So come along, it won’t be long
'Til we return happy
Shut your eyes, there are no lies
In this world we call sleep
Let's desert this day of work
Tomorrow we'll be free

Let's not fight I'm tired can't we just sleep tonight
Don't turn away it's just there's nothing left here to say
Turn around I know we're lost but soon we'll be found

5 comments:

jelly said...

That was the prettiest thing I saw all day!

Thanks for sharing that Sarah.

ms toast burner said...

Wow, I actually understood some of the signing!

Cool Sarah... and cool co-workers!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

You're welcome, jelly.

That's great that you could understand some of the ASL, ms. toast burner. The coworker who showed me the video has noticed me watching YouTube videos in ASL at the reference desk during our shifts together. She even ordered a book for our library called Sign Language for Kids.

codawann said...

I was fortunate to have the great experience working with Sia on her video for this, as the ASL creative Consultant...She spent weeks and weeks practicing and now signs this song in her live concerts as you can see on the David Letterman show.
I love seeing different creative uses of music and ASL.
Keith Wann

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for your comment, Keith Wann. What an amazing experience it must have been working with Sia on this song!