Monday, July 14, 2008

SpeakUp Librarian is Born

September 20, 2006

At the doctor's office my ears, nose, and throat were examined and then an audiologist tested my hearing several different ways. I remember being tested with a tuning fork. That wasn't too bad. Then I went into a soundproof booth and had to listen to words and say out loud what had been said. Yikes - there were several possibilities in my mind - which one had been said? I wanted to answer it was either this or that.

The worst part of the testing came when tones were played and I had to push a button as soon as I heard them. At first the tones were heard easily but then it was harder to distinguish...had there been a new tone or were only echoes floating in the air? Should I push the button or not? I wasn't sure. Then the booth became completely quiet but the test wasn't over. My heart sank.

The audiologist was very kind when she went over my test results with me. I will be forever grateful to her for that. She explained that I had permanent hearing loss. My colds and allergies and stuffed up nose did not account for my being unable to hear the alarm.

She said I was a candidate for hearing aids. I was completely shocked! At my age how could this be possible, I wondered. But of course I wanted to hear. There was not going to be a time of thinking about it as she suggested. I placed my order that day.


Reference Services said...

Your blog is outstanding!

Here is the url of the blog from the Archives of the Sandusky Library, if you would like to take a look:

HOH Canadian said...

Catching up on your first posts. Really interesting how quickly you have lost your hearing. Less then 4 years ago and so suddenly. Then hearing aids right away. That's got to be a tough adjustment. You hardly had time to let it absorb. I'll keep reading to see if you went through a grieving period.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi HOH Canadian,
I'm not sure how suddenly my hearing was lost - I think around 40 I just passed a threshold where it became problematic. Up til then I thought the way I heard was normal.
I don't think you'll find much about my grieving process in my early posts. I was very frightened of what the future held and I had some difficulties with unkind coworkers which I didn't feel comfortable writing about online. You may have to read between the lines a bit.

Frieda said...

Just found your blog ~ I can't imagine how traumatic your adjustment period was for you. My story is a little different and can be found here:

Kathleen said...

Just found your blog, and I imagine I'll be going through a lot of it as time allows! I'm an adult with a unilateral BTE and am a borderline candidate for an implant in the other ear. It looks as if we might be geographically close, so I'll be especially interested to read your blog for any local/state info. :)