Saturday, July 19, 2008

That's Entertainment

Awhile back my friend Linda told me she had started watching DVDs with the subtitles feature turned on. I was surprised because she has no difficulties with hearing. She explained to me that she enjoys watching literary movies with lots of conversation and often the actors use British accents so she finds the subtitles helpful. After that conversation the next time my husband rented a DVD, I decided to try it out for myself. Wow! What a difference - I was able to relax and enjoy "reading" the movie. I had never realized how much energy and effort it took for me to try and understand movie dialogue.

If you are new to hearing loss, be sure and give captions a try. It's much better than what my family was doing before: cranking up the volume for the conversational parts and then rushing to turn it down during the action scenes.

This was originally posted: October 3, 2007. Here's an update: Since then I have become completely hooked on captions. Recently we rented two films without captions -The Last Mimsy and The Blair Witch Project. During The Last Mimsy I was constantly asking my son, "What did he/she say?" I really missed the captions. For the Blair Witch Project I got by okay since it was pretty obvious what was happening. I am very blessed that my family and friends do not mind having the captions running along the bottom of the screen during a movie. I really enjoy sharing movie time with them. We have still not purchased a television set that supports captioning so my television viewing is pretty limited.

4 comments:

Deb Ann said...

Way to go, Sarah! :)

Mother of Bilingual Deaf and Hearing Children said...

All TVs 13" or larger sold in the US after 1993 have built-in caption decoder systems, so I am surprised your TV does not display captions. Guess your TV must be really old. If it is not really old, you may need to hunt for the caption feature in the TV menu set up options, but it should be there somewhere.

I only watch TV shows (as well as movies on DVDs or at the movie theater) that have captions. If there are no captions, I turn the channel.

For more information about captions, visit www.CaptionsOn.com.

Mother of Bilingual Deaf and Hearing Children

billcreswell said...

My daughter went with me to a MoPix fundraiser for the Visually Impaired. She used the reflector, and I used the descriptive audio headset, just for the experience.

My daughter loved the captions. Mind you, no hearing loss, just loved being able to catch everything.
When I caption a movie trailer, sometimes I watch 3 or 4 times to catch what someone said. Again, no hearing loss.

Captions are a good thing - I takes a while to get used to them, especially if you are hearing, but after a while, they become addicting. I get annoyed at my older tv upstairs with no captions. I miss them on movies that are so quiet, but the ads are loud, shows that I watch while others appreciate the quietness of the house.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Welcome to my blog, Mother of bilingual deaf and hearing children. Yeah, my TV set is that old. I think this Christmas I need to write a letter to Santa about it. Thanks for passing on the website for captions.