Monday, July 28, 2008

Mamma Mia!

I couldn't find a captioned version, so here's what they're saying:

[Music playing throughout.]
Every girl has a dream... "I want the perfect wedding and I want my father to give me away!" Meryl Streep: "Look at my baby! Her whole life ahead of her."
Every family has a secret..."I've read mom's diary and I have three possible fathers." "Oh my God!"
Every wedding has a few surprises. "Which one did you invite?"
Meryl Streep: "ooof". Pierce Brosnan: "You always knew how to make an entrance."
Meryl Streep: "There were three guys around the same time."
"You shady lady!"
Pierce Brosnan: "The last time I saw your mother she said she never wanted to see me again." Pierce Brosnan: "Donna!"
"So who is your dad?" "I don't know!" "It's very Greek!"
Meryl Streep: "Somebody up there has got it in for me. I bet it's my mother."
This July take a trip down the aisle you'll never forget.
Colin Firth: "Is your father here?" "You tell me!"
[all three men together each saying part]:"Sophie! I am your father!"
"What!" "Typical. Wait 20 years for a dad and three come along at once." "I've got three dads coming to my wedding and I have to tell two of them they're surplus. But which two?"
"Are you getting any?" Meryl Streep: "What do you mean?" drill sound.
"I don't care if you slept with hundreds of men." Meryl Streep:"I haven't slept with hundreds of men." Meryl Streep:"You sound like you're having fun already." "Oh, we are." Meryl Streep:"I used to have fun." "Oh, we know." giggle

I went to see this movie tonight with my girlfriend, Rachel. Oh, did we have fun. Both of us like ABBA music and Colin Firth. We part ways over Pierce Brosnan. I just don't see his attraction (with the exception of the Thomas Crown affair where he was really hot with Rene Russo). When Rachel started oohing and aahing over him, I made pretend retching motions into my empty popcorn container. hee hee.

Rachel and I have talked before about how great it would be to travel to Greece together. Now we want to go and reenact the movie's great musical numbers. Our favorite was "Dancing Queen" where all the women of the village join in singing and dancing and feeling seventeen and desirable again.

As you can tell from the script above, the movie has lots of funny lines. We laughed almost the whole way through. I did tear up during the song "The Winner Takes It All" which Meryl Streep sings to Pierce Brosnan. That song has always gotten to me.

The wedding story has a twist at the end which I don't want to reveal. Maybe you'll see it coming, but I didn't. I left the theatre with a dance in my step and a song in my heart.


Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

Girlfriend, if you liked the movie you MUST go see the play when it comes to our town this fall! It was absolutely wonderful. Take your friend and enjoy.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

That sounds fun!

Steve Claridge said...

I'm looking forward to this. Not nearly as much as my Wife is though - she's got a bit of an Abba thing going on.

We went to see the original show in London twice just after it first started. First time we went it was a surprise birthday present for her - I thought I was going to hate it but was absolutely amazing.

Does Pierce sing in it? That seems a bit weird. He is James Bond after all and can you imagine Her Majesty's finest breaking into song?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Steve,
Actually I can't remember if Pierce Brosnan sings or not...Most of the singing was done by the women and the young man who played the bridegroom. Your wife will love it! Kudos to you for taking her for her birthday!