Saturday, July 19, 2008

Missing Sounds or Con-onant-

This chart shows where vowel and consonant sounds are heard. Comparing it with my audiogram, it shows that I miss these sounds: k, f, s, h, and th. Even wearing my hearing aids, I often get mixed up by th and f. Here's two amusing examples:

A friend was telling me about an exhibit she had seen at a museum featuring parts of the body. She described different displays and then mentioned that they even had "the finger". Hmm... when she said that she was leaning forward with her chin on her fist. None of her fingers were showing...why was she sitting like that? She saw my puzzled look and added, "You know, by Rodin." Aha - the Thinker.

My next example is not for the easily offended. Okay, you've been warned. One day my son was looking at the packaging for our dog's medicine and he asked, "Mom, what are feces?" I explained. Then about an hour later he came back to me and asked again, "Mom, what are feces?" Exasperated, I replied that I had just explained that to him. No Mom, I'm not talking about feces, I'm asking what are the theses that Martin Luther nailed to the church door." Oops.


Abbie said...

I'm sorry but I'm giggling! This is funny :) You just have laugh :)

Deb Ann said...

I'm sorry..I'm laughing..I think it's sooo funny! Laughter is the best medicine :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi abbie & deb ann, Glad you could laugh with me at these funnies.