Monday, July 26, 2010

My New Measure for Success

Sometimes inspiration can be found in the littlest things. Like a refrigerator magnet. I spent the weekend at a dear friend's new home and was intrigued to find the following thought in her kitchen.

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

I was unfamiliar with this quote. The magnet attributed it to Emerson, but apparently there's some question as to whether he was the actual author or if it was composed by Bessie Stanley instead.

I really like the emphasis on relationship with others as the basis for success rather than individual achievement. Service rather than accomplishment or accumulation of material wealth.

What do you think?


Liz said...

It's a verse that I've not come across before.

Cheryl said...

I love the quote Sarah. I'm adding it to my list of favorites. I enjoy your blog a lot and for some reason I wasn't able to figure out how to leave a comment. I think I've got it now. I am really technologically challenged!!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Cheryl. I'm glad you've got it figured out now. Arthur left me a sweet comment on my recent post about canoeing. It's really nice to hear from family :). Love you,