Thursday, July 29, 2010

Calendar Garden

Entrance to DeFries Gardens, New Paris, Indiana
I visited here with friends this past weekend.

July blossoms

More summer flowers.

The garden layout as seen from the observation tower.

Each day of the year is marked on a brick along the circular
pathway. We enjoyed spotting our birthdays as we walked around.

Most sections of the calendar garden weren't in bloom.

Cone flowers

Black-Eyed Susans

Waterlilies in the center of the garden

An interesting tree stump.

I can just imagine this toad croaking, "Ya'll come back now!"
Indeed, I want to visit here again during other seasons of the year.

4 comments:

Liz said...

It's really lovely there. I can imagine me sitting down and relaxing there, and let the time just slip away.

I found it really relaxing looking at the photos!

kim said...

Beautiful garden pics. I have cone flowers and black-eyes susans in my yard. It's fun to see what grows in other parts of the country.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

@Liz - I am so glad you found it relaxing just looking at this garden. The day I was there it was very HOT and we didn't want to linger. I definitely want to go back on a temperate day and spend more time there.

@Kim - I love both those flowers. I don't have them in my yard but they are part of the landscaping where I work. I thought the idea of a calendar garden would especially appeal to you. It seems rather Zen.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Pam I work there, I help Jon Cutrell the designer of the garden and brain behind it all.. Nice that you honor the garden, liked your photos of it.. must come starting in spring, and each month, hope to see you !