Thursday, July 8, 2010

London: Meeting Deafinitely Girly

I hope all of you are regular readers of Deafinitely Girly. I find her blog fun to read because of her wonderful sense of humor. She has an extremely active social life and everyone in her life has a descriptive nickname in her blog posts.

I was thrilled when she agreed to meet us at our hotel for dinner one evening. There was one small problem. I didn’t have any idea what she looked like. Deafinitely Girly is very careful about her privacy and doesn’t post any photos of herself on her blog. Fortunately, when we stepped off the elevator and walked towards the hotel lobby, she was waiting for us and cried out a welcoming, “Sarah!!!!!”

We had a wonderful time at dinner. We were able to communicate exceptionally well. DG doesn’t wear hearing aids. She relies on lipreading. Naturally, I always faced her when speaking and enunciated clearly. My son did not. I found myself interpreting for her what he said - when I could understand him myself, that is. He really enjoyed DG’s company and talked a mile a minute earning himself the moniker “The Chatterbox” on her blog post about our meeting.

I enjoyed learning more about DG’s work life and her experiences in the local deaf community. She’s a great conversationalist and I could have listened to her for hours. It was difficult to say goodbye after dinner. We sat in the lobby and talked more and even posed for some photos - which you won’t see here because I gave her my word on that. When it was time to part, she said, “I wished you lived in the same country as me!” and gave me a great big hug.
I knew I had made a friend for life.

1 comment:

Liz said...

How lovely Sarah :)