Thursday, July 22, 2010

Finger Spelling Inspired Art Project

While I'm on the subject of crafts, I wanted to share this picture my son made at school this year. His assignment was to create a picture featuring his hands. He chose to illustrate finger spelling in a colorful, fun way. For anyone unfamiliar with ASL, the hands below are spelling out R-U-S-T-Y, the name of our dog, from the perspective of the person signing.

Yes, I know the Y is shown sideways - most likely because he ran out of room on the paper but perhaps it could be artistic license.

My son had never mentioned this assignment to me so it was a wonderful surprise to find it among the many art projects he brought home at the end of the year. I plan to keep this one and perhaps even frame it.

8 comments:

Liz said...

I love it!

(e said...

Awesome. I like the positioning of the 'y'. :)

(e

Lauren said...

I love it!! When I was in high school, I did something like that too- only thing was it didn't require hands, but it had to make people think about it and figure it out. So I made this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/razzi/love.jpg

My mom kept it when I brought it home and now it's hanging somewhere in her house. Hahaha.

Your son is very good, by the way... I never like to draw hands, but he's got it down!

Lauren said...

Oh, and DEFINITELY FRAME IT!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone. I'll be sure my son sees them.

@Lauren - Your art is amazing. Good job and thanks for sharing the photo link.

kym said...

Total awesomeness!

Danielle said...

beautiful I love it Definitely frame it! Hes got talent!

Jonathan said...

Very cool!

Did you know that there are some famous Deaf artists who make amazing artworks out of just fingerspelling?

I have more information in my classroom. Email me if you want me to pass on the names of the artists.