Friday, November 13, 2009

Photo Fun for Friday: Butterfly Garden

In this photo you can see the blur of this
butterfly's wings in motion. Butterflies
are tricky subjects to photograph.

Watch your step!

I visited this butterfly garden with the specific purpose of obtaining the answer to the question, "Are butterflies deaf?" I have seen websites online that say they are and some that say they aren't, but I haven't gotten a definitive word from my web research. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the answer from the staff at the butterfly exhibit either. I was promised my question would be referred to an expert but I never received any reply to my query even after I sent followup emails. At any rate with your indulgence, I'd like to share my own "butterfly logic".
If butterflies are deaf and butterflies are beautiful, then deaf can be beautiful!


Anonymous said...

Yes! Butterflies are deaf! :) i don't know how this can be proven, but over the years I've been told by several deaf people. I also visited National Bridges in Santa Cruz where there is a butterfly "forest" there. One of the guides there said that yes, butterflies are deaf. :)

Carrie Gellibrand

kim said...

Beautiful! :-)

jelly said...

Deaf is beautiful!! That's right.

Such pretty butterflies, makes me think of spring and warm sunshine.

Just John said...

Beautiful pics. You have a good eye.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this with us... :)

deafk, Butterfly, like me...Deaf v/blog

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Carrie,
Welcome to my blog. Thanks for sharing your information.
All the best,

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you for all the nice comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! It was quite a challenge taking them. My friend who went with me was very patient and didn't rush me at all. Thanks, Linda.

Mog said...

We're all butterflies. How lovely

Jedediah said...

Butterflies can hear and some of the can hear pretty well. They have a tympanal organ that works similar to the human eardrum, depending on the species it's on their thorax or abdomen.
Moths that are hunted by bats are often able to hear ultrasound and react to it by suddenly going into a dive or making wild movements to avoid being captured.
Here are some neat pictures of butterfly ears.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jedediah,
Very interesting! Thanks for posting that link. Nice to hear from another librarian too!

For anyone interested in reading more about butterflies and the question of whether or not they can hear, these are some of the links I looked at while exploring this topic. I'll leave it to you to decide on the authority of each website.

Butterfly Appeal
Beach Butterflies Foundation
Obsession with Butterflies FAQ
Hearing Center Online Newsletter
Bootstrap Analysis Blog
University of Florida News Release

If anyone else knows of any links on the subject, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Thanks again, Jedidiah for your comment!