Thursday, November 19, 2009

I Heart Blogging

This month I get to teach two library workshops on blogging. It's always fun for me to talk about this topic with those who are new to the blogging concept. I share the following words from Antonella Pavese with my audience because they resonate with me on why blogging is wonderful. [Note: the bolding is mine and doesn't appear on her website that way.]

Typically, people get into blogging by reading blogs. Most blog readers are not bloggers, they just enjoy visiting and reading/listening/viewing content that others create. And this is great: blogs need readers. Some people, after lurking for while, start contributing to the discussion by writing comments to other people’s posts. This is even better: blogging requires participation. Some blogs becomes like coffee shops: nice places to visit and hang out, where one can listen to stories and chat with friend.

But best of all is having your own blog, because you have the chance to create something that is yours, on which you have complete creative control, and at the same time is public. This is the true power and beauty of blogging: a blog is something you create and take care of, like a garden, and other people from all over the world can visit and enjoy. Antonella Pavese

I love her image of a blog as a garden, don't you?


Saranga said...

That is a nice image :-)

I also love blogging and reading blogs because you get to learn so much and interact with so many different types of folk!

l1zblog said...

That's how I see blogs as a learning tool and getting to know other people like in a coffee shop. And how I attend to approach people is how I started blogging. Looking from a distance, as in case of blogs reading them, then joining in at some point later.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Saranga,
I agree with you that the world of blogging has certainly allowed me to "meet" people I wouldn't otherwise have known. It's really expanded my view of the world.
Thanks for your comment, Sarah.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I like the way you expressed that thought, Liz. If you don't mind, I'd to use that in my workshop.

l1zblog said...

Yes you can use that in your workshop :)