Sunday, October 25, 2009

Some Like It Hot: Amazing Race Episode 6

Continuing to race in Dubai, all the teams suffered from the heat. Thoughtfully the producers arranged two water related challenges. The first involved rowing an inflatable boat out to a yacht to receive a watch from a sheik. That seems like a straightforward enough task but our racers showed some unusual ways to row a boat including paddling it with their arms instead of using the oars. Tiffany rocked this task using standard rowing technique.

Given the choice of assembling hookas or counting gold, most teams sweltered in the sun building 12 of the intricate smoking devices. Cheyne and Megan stayed ahead of the pack and finished first. When it came to counting gold, the alliance between the brothers and the poker players paid off. The girls had the smarts to do it but the boys had the calculator! Working together led these teams to their excellent finishes of second and third place.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. There was a second water related task on tonight's show. This one involved "Taking a Leap of Faith" which turned out to be sliding down a very steep water slide into a pool with real sharks at the Atlantis Resort in Dubai. (It appeared that the sharks were separated from the swimmers by a glass wall.) Some of the teams enjoyed taking the plunge but not Mika. Her fear of water and heights combined to pscyh her out of going down the slide. That decision cost her and Canaan the race as there was one team still behind them. Team Globe Trotters arrived last on the scene and helped convince Mika not to slide. That may seem mean but I have no sympathy for her as she had wasted a lot of time before they got there dithering over whether to slide or not. Talking her out of the slide was the Globe Trotters only chance to stay in the race and they did it.

I'm rather scared of heights myself but I have managed to enjoy the terror of water slides several times. And for me there wasn't even the possibility of winning a million dollars involved. Do you think I'm being too hard on Mika or do you think she should have expected a challenge like this on the Amazing Race and prepared herself for it?

2 comments:

Glenice said...

I have been trying to figure out what I was doing that I missed the show last night?! I'm really glad you recap so now I won't be confused next Sunday evening.

No, I don't think you are being hard on Mika. You have to expect really challenging things on shows like that. I guess her fear must have been really great if she couldn't push herself to go after that prize.

I have never been on a big water slide or water park and now that I would have to do it deaf, I probably never will. I hate to be without my hearing, especially in public places.

Thanks for posting your recap of the show.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Glenice,
Yes, it's a bit trickier when you can't hear the signal that it's safe to go down the slide. Some places have a green light which works great for me. Others I have had to watch the lifeguard for some type of hand signal.
Sarah