Friday, October 23, 2009

A Very Harry Halloween

My entry in the library's Pumpkin Carving Contest.

I've been sick with a virus for about two weeks now. Last Friday I went to the doctor and was tested for influenza A/B and strep. Both tests came back negative. The doctor suggested it might be mono and that I needed to get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids. As needed I could take Tylenol for my sore throat pain.

Fortunately, my downtime hasn't been a complete waste. I've been reading the Harry Potter series. Now that I've entered the world of J.K. Rowling, it's hard to believe I haven't read them before now. My only explanation is that when the books first came out my son was too young for them.

I remember there was also some concern by conservatives about witchcraft being promoted through the novels. Now that I've read them for myself, I can't understand that viewpoint at all. Even though the world is magical, it's far from perfect. The characters all must cope with events beyond their control and must deal with everyday problems like bad weather, unfair teachers, and taunting classmates. I find it particularly endearing that Harry who may be the most powerful wizard of all must wear glasses to correct his nearsightedness. No magical Lasik vision spell for him.

So far, I've read the first four novels. After each one, I've rented the movie on DVD. It's been an enjoyable way to spend my time while resting and really put me in the mood for Halloween next week!


jelly said...

I've read all of the Harry Potter books at one time or another.
I enjoyed every single one of them.

I think the last 'series' of books I read where The Chronicles of Narnia wayyy back.
Oh and I also read The Clan of the Cave Bear series and all those silly VC Andrews books, remember 'Flowers in the Attic'.

Gosh, that movie was bad.

Anyway, I'm glad you are starting to feel slightly better.

What good is my favorite librarian if she is not at the library?


Stay well.

ms toast burner said...

Sorry to hear that you've been so icky feeling, Sarah.

I have never read any Harry Potter... I've not even seen any of the movies. Perhaps I need a virus too! haha...

I hope you get well soon!

Cheryl said...

So sorry to hear that you've been under the weather for so long. We've all been battling sore throats, and cold (some flu type) symptoms. Glad that you're having some time to read and just relax. You deserve it. Love to you!