Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Making of ....a Slight Mistake.

Linda, my very good friend from library school, shared this amusing story with me recently.

She was sitting at the reference desk when a teenager approached her and asked if the library had a book in its collection. She asked him what the title was and thought he responded with "The Making of the Lion King". She hadn't heard of the book before and the thought passed through her mind that it was rather strange that a young man was interested in a Disney children's film...but professional that she is, she went ahead and consulted the library catalog. She didn't find a listing for it.

She asked the young man again and repeated back what she had heard as the title. Apparently he was too polite to correct her. Fortunately for him at that moment her coworker came to take the next shift at the desk. He restated his request to her. Before leaving, Linda told her colleague she had been unable to find "The Making of the Lion King". Suppressing a giggle, her coworker told her the title he was looking for was "The Making of a Latin King." Oops.

Thanks, Linda for reminding me that sometimes even those with excellent hearing make mistakes and allowing me to share your story on my blog.

[For those unfamiliar with the Latin Kings, they are a gang in the United States. Just a bit different than an animated feature film.]


Jonathan said...

Honestly, I always find it odd that people without hearing loss can mishear what other people said.

I've associated this experience with being hard of hearing so much that it just seems bizarre that it's not exclusively an HOH issue.

But, then it somewhat parallels to what someone, a hearing person, once said to me: hearing people don't listen, hard of hearing people do.

jelly said...

Just a slight mistake. ;-)

What Jonathon said...'hearing people don't listen, HOH people do.' I like that.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for your comment, Jonathan. It's also relevant to my next blog post, so I've added your quote there.

I feel like I put a lot of energy into listening because I get so tired.

But I will admit that if I don't think what someone's saying is important, I will not expend the effort. For example, if my family's watching television on our tv without captions, I may sit with them for the company but I won't make the effort to hear the program's dialogue. It's just too tiring for me, which my family just doesn't get but perhaps you do.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Me too, Jelly. I wonder if there's a t-shirt design possibility there somewhere? An "I'm listening" parody of Frasier perhaps?