Friday, October 23, 2009

Fun ASL Video with Captions in English and ASL

This video is FUN to watch! I really appreciate the time the signer took to add the captions in ASL below the English captions. When I was taking my sign language class and had to sign sentences in front of the class, that's how I wrote them out on my paper. First in English, then as ASL concepts. It reinforces the idea that ASL is not "English in the air".

Thank you to my friend Pam for bringing this video to my attention. I hope you all enjoy it! Have a great weekend, everyone.

Read more about signer Stephen Torrence and how he makes his ASL videos in this interview: part one and part two.


Glenice said...

That is really something and the dual captioning is wonderful for helping English speaking people understand the difference. My youngest daughter has a degree in deaf studies and I have heard her say many times that ASL is not English. What a great way to demonstrate that point.

jelly said...

Very clever indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

I just heart ASL!!

kim said...

I wish there were more videos with both ASL and captions

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

I didn't see any captions in English! Since I can't read ASL, I had a tough time understanding the words, although I can sure hear the music. Cute, though.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Sara,
I don't know why the captions didn't automatically display for you on this video.

You might try doing this:

To activate captions on YouTube (when they're available) click on the up arrow in the bottom right of the screen. (You may need to hit play first.) Then click on CC. You can toggle them on or off.

All the best,

PinkLAM said...

That was an awesome video! I am not a Miley Cyrus fan, but watching the ASL in the video was really cool- thanks for sharing!

capriuni said...

Thanks for the links. Not many people on my LiveJournal or DreamWidth friends list are fans of Miley Cyrus. So I posted a link to his interpretation of "I'm your moon," instead:

(no encoded captions in the vid itself, but he includes the English and ASL Gloss in the sidebar)

And Glenice: Yes. I've read in several places that ASL grammar is closer to spoken Japanese. ... But I don't know enough Japanse to know if that's true or not. ;-)