Friday, April 10, 2009

Actions Speak Louder Than Words: Bill Cresswell

I'm finding myself becoming more "caption dependent" all the time. This week I went to a movie with open captions that I wouldn't have gone to otherwise. The movie (Duplicity) was so-so as I expected but getting to see the dialogue was very enjoyable. In my house, it's become standard practice to switch the captions on for a DVD as soon as the previews are finished.

That's why I want to take a moment to salute Bill Cresswell, whose personal mission is "captioning the Internet one video at a time". He has published an Open Letter to Studios and TV Networks calling for them to caption internet videos. In the meantime, he has stepped up to the challenge of captioning videos for those of us who need them through his website. He regularly captions movie trailers and will caption videos upon request. I asked for his help once and he responded very quickly to my request. He does this on his own time at no charge. His website even includes a link to donate to Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, an organization in his local community.

Bill is hearing. He is a self described "web developer, family guy, and singing fool". He works for a theatre that provides captions and described audio (for the blind). He's learning ASL and is a true friend to the deaf and hard of hearing.

From the bottom of my heart, Bill, thank you for all you do.

10 comments:

RLM said...

Speak Up Librarian,

Yea, no questions about how great Bill Creswell have been the friend of deaf community for his persistent cause to pressure the entertainment industry to caption the Internet videos and tv shows.

Thank you for recognizing Bill Creswell's hard work (althought little underappreciated). Smile!

RLM

kim said...

What a nice post. Let me second that. THANK YOU BILL CRESSWELL!

A Deaf Pundit said...

Yeah, Bill's a great guy. We don't speak very often, but I know him in real life, and he's the same off-line as he is online. Quiet, humble, and ready to give.

He deserves all of the praise he's getting, and more. :)

Thanks Bill, for all what you do for us. :)

JJ/A Deaf Pundit

LaRonda said...

Bravo Bill! I agree. I have enjoyed his captioned movie trailers and videos from the internet. This guy is all heart! Definitely would have won my vote for Best Deaf Ally of the Year!

Nice of you to point him out. An unsung hero!

~ LaRonda

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, everyone. Since not everyone who reads my blog is part of the deaf/hard of hearing community, I wanted to bring Bill to their attention. I also thought of this post as a companion piece to my post "Speaking Up But Is Anyone Listening?" to show that someone in the hearing community is paying attention to our needs.

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

Agreed!!! He's a great guy with a true heart! THANK YOU, Bill Creswell, and we LOVE you!

J.J. said...

Yes...TWO HUGE THUMBS UP for Bill.

Thanks for all you do, Bill.

l1zblog said...

Wow. Its really nice to know someone cares, and that they don't have to be deaf themselves. Brilliant! (pat on the back) :)

ms toast burner said...

A great post Sarah. I had no idea about Bill Cresswell.

I have since gone to his website and read a lot about what he does and enjoyed some videos.

Thanks Sarah! I will pass on this info and fire off a 'thanks' to Bill.

I hope that you and your family are doing alright.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Glad to introduce you to Bill Cresswell, Marnie. My family is doing good. Spending time this afternoon (Easter) helped alot. Thanks for asking.