Thursday, April 16, 2009

SpeakUp Librarian's Bookshelf

Be sure and check out my new Shelfari Bookshelf in my blog sidebar located just below my avatar. For this collection I've selected nonfiction books on being deaf or hard of hearing and fiction books with characters who are either deaf or hard of hearing. These are all books that I've read and either learned from or enjoyed. If you run your mouse over a title you can see a brief description of the book. The number of stars indicates how much I liked the book.

If you'd like to join Shelfari and create your own bookshelf click here.

You can find my complete collection on Shelfari here. It's a work in progress. If you have any books you'd like to recommend to me, I'd love to hear about them.


ms toast burner said...

How very appropriate for a librarian! I love that 'Missed Connections' by Stenross. While reading it, it was the first time that I realised the profound effects that hearing loss can have. It was both difficult to read (identifying with so much of the awfulness of hearing loss) and a relief (ah, I'm not crazy and it's not just me!) to read.

Nice black bookcase! ;-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks. Yes, a library of sorts or at the very least a resource shelf was definitely missing from my blog. I too have experienced that "oh it's not just me" aha moment when reading about others experiences.

Any books you'd like to recommend?

kim said...

I've read three of your 'deaf' books on your shelfari. If you like thrillers you might also like A Maiden's Grave by Jeffrey Deaver. It's about two bad guys who take a bus full of school girls hostage only to find out they are all deaf. They have difficulties managing the girls since they can all communicate discreetly in ASL. It's a fast-paced and intense read. Here's a link

Mog said...

Cool resource, thanks!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kim,
I am going to add A Maiden's Grave to my "To read" list on Shelfari. The part about the girls communicating secretly in ASL really intrigues me. Thanks for the recommendation!

I adore thrillers (as long as they aren't too gory or scary). I like the suspense and how a storyline can twist and turn keeping me totally involved until the last page.

jelly said...

I am at work, so I can't really check out all these books and I might be interested in doing a Shelfari myself, since I'm an avid reader.

I am going to check out all these over the weekend when I have more time.
Looking forward to checking it out!!

Isn't Sarah just the best librarian?? Hee. :-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Jelly, I think you could be the librarian. I was really impressed by your book meme.