Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Treadmill Time Rewarded

Since February I have been participating in a fitness program sponsored by my employer. The deal is if I exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes and have this verified by human resources employees or fitness center staff, my name gets entered in a biweekly prize drawing. As stated before I love prizes, so the incentives really motivated me. So far I had been lucky enough to have my name picked for a t-shirt, a pen, and a $5 gift certificate to the campus bookstore.

Yesterday was the last day of our official program. Fitness participants sporting their red prize t-shirts gathered expectantly for the final prize drawing. This time all the remaining prizes were laid out on a table and winners were allowed to make their own choice. I was delighted when my name was called and I nabbed a $5 gift certificate to Olive Garden.

Speeches by university executives followed with the surprise announcement that the program would continue after all. Prize drawings would now be limited to once a month and two outdoor walking paths would be marked for those who wanted to get some fresh air and sunshine. Hooray!

Then it was time for the grand finale drawing for those who had participated each week since the start of the program. Six lucky winners would receive two tickets to a university theatre performance. Drum roll, please.... Yes! I was one of the lucky winners! Whoo-hoo! Now my husband and I could have a date night to see a play. When I called to arrange the seats, I was informed we would be in the balcony. Well, not my first choice (obviously) but hey it's free. I'll bring along my PocketTalker and enjoy having a night out with my sweetheart.

Just for laughs, I've posted this amusing video. It's of a song performed on treadmills. For my deaf friends, I've watched it with no sound on and it's still fun to see the innovative choreography. I hope you'll enjoy it. Needless to say, I haven't progressed to this agility level yet myself.

3 comments:

ms toast burner said...

Well done, Sarah!

The prizes are nice but I'm referring more to the commitment to exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

I use to be quite fit but fell off the wagon about a year and a half ago when real life hit the fan. I am finding it very difficult to be consistent to get my fitness back... I admire your consistency and dedication!

And I love that video clip!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi, Ms. Toast Burner.

Well, I'm not as fit as I'd like to be. My asthma makes it difficult for me to exercise in a strenuous way. I find that walking on the treadmill (jogging isn't possible for me) and lifting weights once a week helps me cope with stress at work.

I know I'm just a kid at heart because I love to win something - the actual prize doesn't matter as much to me as the little thrill I feel inside.

Tomorrow I'm going to post something humorous about "the shape I'm in."

sara said...

It never hurts to mention that you're hearing impaired and would get more from a show by sitting up front. This usually works for me, though not always on my first choice of date and time.. and since they were free tickets, it's hard to expect much.