Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hard of Hearing Accessibility: 2020

Thanks to Jonathan I came across this link to "Accessibility Collaboration" by Sami Virtanen. This article which describes "the Dream 2.0" or what the world could be like for hard of hearing people in 2020 was written by a 34 year old man from Finland for the CHHA-IFHOH (Canadian Hard of Hearing Association/ International Federation of Hard of Hearing) Congress of 2008. He not only describes his dream of increased accessiblity but also outlines the steps for achieving it. He references universal design and the design for all concept (which I hope to write on soon).

In "Accessibility Collaboration", Virtanen states that "The vision of disability policy is a society for all. The mission is the advancement of disabled peoples’ human value, well being, and empowerment. The goal is to make it possible for disabled people to achieve, on an equal basis with other people: a) basic conditions for life, b) equal and full participation in society, and c) an independent and autonomous life." Amen.

I highly recommend this article for all who are concerned about accessibility. To view the article, you will need Microsoft Word. This document is published in Microsoft Word 97-2003 format. If you cannot access it, drop me an email at speakuplibrarian@yahoo.com and I will send you a copy as a rich text file (viewable with any word processing software). Thank you, Jonathan!


Jonathan said...

Wow, it's a first to see my name mention in a blog. Thanks!

I'm glad that you were able to find something useful from that site that I shared with you.

I'd like to share something else with you. The CHHA will be having a conference in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada (almost the exact opposite location compare to the 2008 one) in May 2009. Its theme is centred on technology. The website doesn't list what the workshops will be, but keep checking the site so that you can see if there is anything related to your interest. The site is www.chha.ca and look under events, I think, which will eventually take you to the St. John's Conference website.

Amy Kay said...

Oh my goodness! The HOH Accessibility 2020,,, I am just wow-ed by this! I had not read your blog when I wrote mine earlier. wow. Dreams, Equality, Accessibility. Thanks for sharing this!! I too will be sharing.

kym said...

That is good news! Accessiblity for the HOH crowd. Wonderful thing!

I wish we had workshops like this in my area. I would be interested in attending workshops and such with my wife, so we could learn new and exciting things for the deaf/hoh community.

Thanks for posting.


SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jonathan,
You totally deserved to see your name (in bold type I might add) on my blog. Thanks for sharing the link for the conference! I really appreciate that the organization made their presentations from last year available to read on the web.
Will you be attending this year's conference?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi AmyKay,
Yes, I really enjoyed reading Sami Virtanen's vision for 2020. It's also wonderful to get an international perspective on these issues.
Thanks for your comment.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
Yes, that's the wonder of the internet. Even if we aren't able to attend in person, the information can be made available online.
Do you have a local hearing loss support group in your area? I found mine through the HLAA website. You might also try ALDA.
Thanks for your comments.

Jonathan said...


I'd love to go to the conference. Not only would I enjoy learning more about various things related to being Hard of Hearing, but also I would totally enjoy meeting up with some old friends and not so old friends (who I met in Vancouver last summer)as well as meeting new people. I'm hoping that I can be excused from work on the ground that attending it would benefit my work and the place where I work.

How about you?

P.S. Thanks for bolding and mentioning my name.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jonathan,
Newfoundland is a long ways away from me. It's unlikely that I will attend. I will keep an eye on the conference website.