Thursday, January 28, 2010

In Case You Were Wondering....

In case you were wondering, I thought I'd provide my regular readers with a few updates on topics I've posted about over the last year.

First of all, I didn't get the job I tried for recently. I never heard from the library but I did hear from a coworker that someone else got it and the online job posting has been removed. Oh well. I have mixed feelings of disappointment and relief. I really appreciate all the supportive comments I received when I questioned myself as to whether or not I should have applied for it.

Some of my neighbors (photo #4 that means you) still have their Christmas decorations up. We had a warm spell last week so I don't understand what they're waiting for...Valentine's Day?

I gained weight from all my unabated baking during the holidays. Back to the treadmill again.

My ALS fundraiser has netted $10 - all from the commissions on gifts I gave coworkers for Christmas. This fundraiser is still active and I'm not giving up on it.

Although, no one has purchased a Speak Up for Equality t-shirt yet, several of my other Speak Up Librarian Shop designs have sold. I looked into bringing the t-shirts to the HLAA conference in Milwaukee but the costs are too great for such a small enterprise. I may just have to try wearing a shirt there and hope it will be noticed. I was blessed to receive some free publicity in the Chicago ALDA newsletter and pass out flyers at another local hearing loss support group meeting. Thank you to everyone who has bought a shirt. I appreciate you!

My support group's efforts to get more open caption film showings at the theater hasn't netted results. I attended an open caption screening of Couples Retreat recently with my husband and we were the only two in the theater. So I can't blame the theater manager for not being more responsive. I will continue to thank the theater manager and/or staff for having the open caption showing each time I attend. Though, I have to admit I'm not committed to seeing a film just because it's captioned. The movie has to be something I would enjoy seeing, especially when the only showings are on a Tuesday and Wednesday night once a month.

At work my colleague the Web Goddess and I got sidetracked from our goal of making library workshops more accessible through captioning. Hopefully we can get back to that idea now that we have the software we need and the major project we were assigned to has been completed. Stay tuned on this one.

Last, but not least, is an update on the Illinois Senate bill to mandate health insurance coverage for hearing aids. The bill is still alive in the Senate and has now been introduced a second time. It was recently featured in this Herald-News article.

Did I miss anything? Let me know.


Megan said...

Thank you for the updates! Your comment about open captioning in the theater made me smile because around here, it seems like the only movies that get captioned are the ones I'd never want to see! Why can't the interesting ones be open captioned? Maybe they'd draw more customers that way, too.

On a slightly related note, at our library we show movies every Thursday night. An earlier showing has the subtitles on the DVD turned on and the later one is not subtitled. We get very few people showing up for the earlier one. I just wish it were easier to tell if it's because of the time slot or because it's subtitled. Many people I meet around here do not want to have to "read" the screen even if they do have an impairment. :/

Liz said...

Sorry to hear you did not get the job. But I'm glad you applied. Keep up with your current ventures. They will give you rewards of feeling good in what you are doing. :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Megan,
Yes - it's often movies I have no interest in that are captioned -arrgh. I really wanted to see Seven Pounds with Will Smith on the big screen but had to wait until it came out on DVD instead.
That's great that your library shows movies with subtitles. It's hard for me to understand people's aversion to "reading the screen" when a film is shown in a public place and it's a matter of accessibility. It sounds as though your library is trying to please both groups and that's fine. Perhaps a survey might be in order to find out why the earlier time slot has lower attendance.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
Thanks for your comment. I find my current work enjoyable and sometimes working hard can be its own reward.
How is your children's book coming?

Liz said...

I've not done anything more with book at the moment other than take on board the comments. I want to concentrate on my current assignment for the time being. Especially with me not being very well at the moment, which has affected work etc. . . I've been totally laid out. Just resting while watching tv or sleeping.

Glenice said...

Thank you for the update Sarah.

Back in the day, when I was wearing hearing aids, my husband wrote some awesome letters to our insurance company on my behalf. He is a BCBS of MN rep and very good with language. Hearing aids should be covered. Cochlear Implants are.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
Hope you feel better soon. Take care!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Glenice,
I'm not sure what BCBS of MN is. Would you enlighten me?
I agree that hearing aids should be covered by insurance. Is that a law in your state?

kim said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job-- and also I think that's a sucky way to find out. They should have called you so you didn't have to hear about it through the grape vine.

I never realized you were raising money for ALS. What prompted that? A friend died of ALS a couple years ago. Very difficult for all.

Yeh-- I see your point about captioned movie theaters being half empty. Then again, I agree that if they showed those films at a better time, more deaf/hh people would show up. I went to see Up In the Air on a Sunday morning a couple weeks back. Open captions were pretty good, but I also found I was hearing better with the Naida so didn't have to read every single little thing. Very enjoyable.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kim,
I don't mind hearing about the job that way. It's much better than the letdown I felt every time I checked my email and saw nothing from them. The job ad was posted back in November so I realized the library might be at the end of their hiring process. I wasn't looking for a job - someone told me about it. I think it was meant for someone else.
My coworker's husband died from ALS. I wanted to do something to help. I designed some products in my Speak Up Librarian shop using the saying "As the Pages Turn" which is how he referred to the library's drama. All commissions from the sales will be given to ALS Association. As I mentioned, so far I've been the only one to buy anything, but I still felt good about sending in the check to the ALS Association.
Did you like Up in the Air? It looks interesting.

jelly said...

Bummer about the job, they could have notified you in a better way though.

Hearing aids, yes, need to be covered by health insurance. Some of us need them, like we need our glasses and in my state we have vision benefits, so why not for our aids? I just don't understand.
In NJ, through Vocational Rehab, they will cover the entire cost of your hearing aids, I know that much, is that something that is offered in IL?

PS. I'm behind on some of my stitching projects, but I am slowly working on one for you, alittle piece that might make you smile.

Great update.