Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Insurance Coverage for Hearing Aids

Today in Springfield, Illinois a hearing will be held to discuss a bill that would require insurers to provide coverage for hearing aids. The amount specified is $2500 per hearing aid every 3 years.

You can read more about Senate bill #68 and follow its progress at the Illinois General Assembly website.

This bill has the support of the Hearing Aid Action group. I received an email from them asking me to call the 12 senators who are part of the Insurance Committee considering the bill and express my support for it. I was happy to do my part. It was quite easy as the people answering the phones were used to receiving such calls and generally just asked for my name and where I lived.

The captioned video below explains what this bill is all about and the efforts being made to water it down so that it only provides coverage up to $2000 and only covers children up to age 18.




Illinois, the time is now!

3/13/09 Update: You can read about Kim Putz' experience in Springfield on this blog. I received another email today that said after the hearing, the bill has been referred to a senate subcommittee. I have 3 names to contact and state firmly that I want Senate Bill 68 passed with no age restrictions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had high hopes for this bill, but with that amendment, it really kills the purpose of the bill.

jelly said...

My insurance doesn't cover hearing aids at all. And needless to say, we know how expensive they are!! Any help in this area would be appreciated...if insurance covers glasses couldn't they cover aids as well?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

The amendment does hurt the bill's impact.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Exactly, Kym. I need my hearing aids to keep working the same as I do my glasses.

Anonymous said...

i have a 8 year old that needs 2 hearing aids and we make too much for goverment help and ins. doesnt pay for them there shpuld be a law that they would cover them until a child is 18 years old