Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sign Language for Everyone

Today my hearing loss support group had a fun meeting. We got together to watch the DVD "Sign Language for Everyone: How to Talk to a Person Who Can't Hear" starring Anthony Natale.

If you haven't seen it before, this video is a friendly introduction to American Sign Language. Throughout the film, Anthony teaches signs to some new hearing friends who imitate his signing with various degrees of success. At one point, a girl unknowingly signs condom instead of month and a warning appears on the screen to be careful how you sign, heh. The video also educates viewers about deaf experience through vignettes on what it's like to shop in a store alone as a deaf person and what it's like for a hearing friend to use relay telephone service for the first time. I especially enjoyed the scene where Anthony explains that "Yes, he is allowed to drive!"

While watching, I was pleased at the number of signs I already knew and enjoyed practicing them and learning new ones. I noticed almost everyone else in the audience doing the same thing. At the end of the film, we raised our hands and moved them in silent applause.

If you'd like to see the video yourself, you can find order it online here at To learn more about Anthony Natale, you can visit his official website at


Glenice said...

That sounds like an enjoyable film to watch. I'm going to look into getting that one. Thank you for sharing this information.


(e said...

I like that video, mainly because I think Anthony Natale is HOT, HOT, HOT! :)


SpeakUp Librarian said...

You're welcome, Glenice.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I completely agree, Elizabeth. You'll notice I couldn't resist posting his photo prominently!