Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Additions to My Blog Reading List I Highly Recommend

Eh? What? Huh? written by Elizabeth AKA (e. Her blog is devoted to hearing loss issues. She has written recently about ASL interpreted videos, common misconceptions about hearing aids, and rear window captioning. I've enjoyed seeing photos of her hearing aids decorated with various kinds of stickers.

Hard of Hearing Canadian is a blog about coping with late deafened hearing loss. Just started in January of this year, the posts are right on target and very practical in nature. You will also find cartoons and book reviews on this blog. I know I'm looking forward to reading the title A Quiet World: Living with Hearing Loss that was highlighted in one of the reviews.

Stuck in Two Worlds is another recent entry in the blogosphere. She writes about what it's like being "a hearing impaired person trying to live life in the normal hearing community". Stuck in two worlds: those of the deaf and the hearing, an emotional place where many hard of hearing people find themselves. Not deaf enough, yet not hearing enough either. Torn.

Life with a Hearing Dog written by Cathy and Bosley who describe themselves as a middle aged broad and a young yellow lab. With all my affection for Rusty, how could I not fall in love with this blog? It is funny with lots of real life stories and photos of Bosley.

Hearing Sparks written by Megan, a married 23 year old woman from Arizona. She has bilateral progressive sensorineural hearing loss and is "using this blog to share details about my life with hearing loss, as well as interesting news about accessibility, advancements in audiology and other sciences and a little bit of geeky stuff, too." Whenever I read Megan's blog, I feel hip, fresh, and up-to-date.

Cacophony to Symphony written by the even younger PinkLAM is a look at a teenaged girl's life with cochlear implants. I have been awed by her drive to get the best education she can despite the obstacles placed in her way. Her self advocacy for accomodation is a model for us all.

12 comments:

Megan said...

Yay! Thank you for the compliment. And for your own wonderful blog! :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for letting an older gal like me hang around your blog, Megan.

(e said...

Hey! Thanks so much!
I am really glad you enjoy my blog as I do yours. I am really loving being a part of the D/HH blog community and I thank you for being a part of the reason.

LOVE

(e

Glenice said...

I could have used a friend like you in the years when I was really struggling with my hearing loss. All those reading recommendations look very interesting and supportive. Good job.

As a cochlear implant user, my life has become so much easier. That middle place, the place between deafness and its culture and hearing society is a very difficult place.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, (e.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Glenice. I don't remember exactly how I found all these blogs -serendipidity most likely - but I wanted to share them with others who might not have discovered them yet.

HOHCanadian said...

Thanks for all the great comments on my blog and thanks for mentioning it here. :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

You're welcome, Hard of Hearing Canadian. I hope you'll get some new readers. By the way, I found your blog through One Slice at a Time.

PinkLAM said...

Aw, thanks for the mention! I very much appreciate all of your compliments, comments and support :)
~LAM

jelly said...

I totally have to check out these new blogs. :-)

Jonathan said...

Thanks SUL (my acronym for Speak Up Librarian) for sharing these links. I've enjoyed looking over them today.

I now have many more blogs to enjoy thanks to you!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Happy Reading,
Jelly and Jonathan.