Saturday, February 6, 2010

I Couldn't Have Said It Better

I'm not much of a football fan as you can tell. I've approached Super Bowl Sunday different ways in the past. One year I opted out completely by watching chick flicks in the basement while my husband and son watched upstairs. Once I attended a Super Bowl party but was bored out of my mind. Other years I've tried following the action alongside my family in the living room but I've never yet managed to endure, I mean watch of course, cough cough the whole game.

My best Super Bowl TV viewing experience ever was when the Chicago Bears faced the New England Patriots in 1986. I happened to be in London on a school trip and watched the game in the TV lounge of my hotel. It was really amusing to hear the British commentator explain the football action. He seemed to understand the game about as well as I do. There also seemed to be an underlying bias against the New England Patriots. Hmmm, couldn't have anything to do with their team's name or that little war a couple hundred years ago...Surely not. But best of all the Bears won.

This year I will once again try to be in the same room with my son and husband as they watch. I'm arming myself with a cross-stitch project and will probably venture online if I get too restless. What will you be doing for the Big Game?


jelly said...

I will not be watching football. I'm not a sports fan really, at all. I guess if our home team (Eagles) were playing, I'd be a teeny interested.

Watch the PUPPY BOWL on Animal Planet. It is the cutest thing on tv that day.

Steve said...

I'm watching it! Coverage starts at 11pm over here, not sure what time the actual game kicks off.

Looking forward to it - just hope I can stay awake until the end!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

That Puppy Bowl sounds cute. Unfortunately we don't have Animal Planet in our cable package.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Steve,
I didn't know you're a football fan. Which team are you rooting for?

mogrenewed said...

oh, is that tomorrow??

I'm English and non sporty so we are off for a walk in the countryside instead

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Mog,
Enjoy your walk. It's a bit too chilly here to enjoy a long walk.

Glenice said...

Never watch
Don't care
Glad I don't have to sit there.

Went for a walk,
Enjoyed the sun
This for me was plenty of fun.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Glenice,
Wow - you made your comment into a little poem. Very clever. I feel the same way as you do.

Steve said...

Amazingly, it seems the biggest story to come out of the Super Bowl was the one of Brees protecting his son's hearing with some ear-protection during the celebrations.

Great game as well!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Watching the Super Bowl, I couldn't help but wonder what the noise level was like. I was so proud to see that father protect his son's hearing with headphones. If it raised awareness of the damage that noise can do to hearing, that is even better. Thanks for your comment, Steve.