Friday, August 21, 2009

Flowers for Friday: Hedge, Hibiscus, & More

We have several flowering shrubs
planted along our back alley
to form a privacy hedge.

From here it looks likes a wall of flowers!

Notice the three different colors.

A closer look

Rose of Sharon

The hibiscus blossom below measures approx. 9".

It's hardy enough to withstand our cold winters.

Here's what the hibiscus buds look like.

Not sure what this one is but it seemed
to go along with the other purple flowers
in today's post so I included it as well.


The other day I mentioned to my husband that
I'm unable to take photos of these morning glories
when I come home from work because they're closed up.
He gave me a look. When I asked, "What?" innocently,
he replied, "That's why they have that name."
Groan. I'd never put that together before.

Have a beautiful weekend, everyone!

7 comments:

ms toast burner said...

You're photography is just getting better and better, Sarah! Excellent shots!

Funny about the morning glory! Just last year I finally put together Black-Eyed Susans. I just wish I could blame that one on being hard of hearing though! haha! ;-)

l1zblog said...

Lovely flowers :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Tee hee. You made me feel better, Ms. Toast Burner.
I'm glad you liked the photos!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Liz. So many flowers have faded that it was nice to put together this blog post and appreciate what is blooming. Glad you liked it!

kim said...

Really Beautiful!! I love this time of year.

deafdude said...

Are those hibiscus the cold hardy varity or the tropical kind? We have tons of hibiscus here in south Florida but when I visit my brother in north Florida, I didn't see a single hibiscus except indoors as a house plant.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Deaf Dude,
These hibiscus are hardy enough to withstand cold Midwestern winters. They're a perennial which means they bloom year after year.
Thanks for your comment. I bet the hibiscus in Florida are gorgeous!
Sarah