Monday, January 3, 2011

Two Other Librarians You May Want to Know

Did you know there are other librarian bloggers out there besides moi? Yes, it's true. I'd like to introduce you to two of them whose blogs I particularly enjoy and think you may like too.

The first one is Jim the Librarian. He says that name might just as well be on his birth certificate it fits him so well. He's a librarian at Gallaudet University in Washington DC. He writes on various library topics and does a great job explaining concepts like how librarians support intellectual freedom and why library databases are harder to use than Google. I like how he tells it straight to the students that they will need to do *gasp* actual research in order to produce their best work. He also notes the important perk of free coffee for late night studying at the library.

Best of all are Jim the Librarian's book reviews. He creates video entries using American Sign Language to discuss each story's plot and why he likes that novel. For those of us who are not fluent in ASL, he includes English captions. Watching his videos on full screen mode is helping me improve my ASL receptive skills as the captions are much smaller in this view. But even if you are unfamiliar with ASL, you will not want to miss out on Jim's humor and insight into the books he recommends. I'm adding several of them to my personal reading list. Jim has an impressive vocabulary and entertaining communication style. Could it be an occupational hazard from being surrounded by books all the time?

I've included one of my favorite Jim the Librarian vlog reviews here for your viewing pleasure. It's almost nine minutes long and has one brief technical error near the beginning I want you to simply overlook. My thanks go out to Bill Graham, who told me about Jim the Librarian.



Another library blog I read regularly for fun is called Miss Information. Her most recent post is titled "The library is open. Please go away." Need I say more?

If you really want to know what the library staff is thinking when patrons come into the library on the day after Christmas, when they have creative excuses for why library overdue fines don't apply to them, and when the computers don't work the way they should, you can read Miss Information to learn the truth. But are you sure you want to know? I'm just cautioning you that Miss Information has a snarky sense of humor about the absurdities that comprise the library world. If you've ever put in time behind a public service desk or even walked into a public library once and paid attention to your fellow patrons, you will recognize she's got the inside scoop. She's an anonymous blogger so remember to treat your librarian nicely. You never know, it could be her!

Do you know any other librarian bloggers I should read for fun? If so, be sure and let me know.

6 comments:

Kym said...

Good video, thanks for sharing!

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

I'm always a little cautious to learn what ANYONE is really thinking about me!

Happy New Year Sarah!

Megan said...

I love Miss Information!

Another one I like is Love the Liberry: http://lovetheliberry.blogspot.com/

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
I think you would like the books Jim reviews. Let me know if you read any of them, ok?
Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Well, Joey, as far as Miss Information, don't say I didn't warn you. (smile)
From the comments I read on your blog, I can tell that many people hold you in high regard.
All the best,
Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Megan. I will definitely check out that blog.