Tuesday, January 11, 2011


I've started the Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge with a terrific inspirational book, Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words by Kevin Hall. This title was highly recommended to me by Karen who writes A Deaf Mom Shares Her World blog.

I was very intrigued by the two concepts in the title- discovering your purpose and the power of words - and how the two might be connected. Here's a quote from the book that explains the author's purpose:

I'm on a quest to uncover the secrets of words and what they meant originally when they first surfaced...It's like peeling an onion. By breaking down words layer by layer by uncovering their pure meaning, you tap into a force that will help you find your purpose and better lead your life.

Although many words are explained within the book, Hall focuses on the following eleven: Genshai, Pathfinder, Namaste, Passion, Sapere Vedere, Humility, Inspire, Empathy, Coach, Ollin, and Integrity. If some of them are unfamiliar, you will have to read the book to find out what they are. I'm not telling!

Author Kevin Hall shares many wonderful personal stories to illustrate his points. One of my favorite parts of the book was his retelling of afternoon study sessions with the Master of Words, Arthur Watkins. Arthur teaches him not only by lecture but also by example. He's a man in his nineties, yet he continues to learn a new vocabulary word every day.

Two lessons I learned from the book are that encourage means to add to someone's heart and the word fear can be thought of as an acronym for false emotions appearing real.

I highly recommend this book for anyone in need of inspiration and motivation. You can read the first chapter for free online at this link.


Karen Putz said...

Sarah, glad you read it! It is one of my favorite books. I love words and I enjoyed the stories and life lessons tied to each word. I left my copy out at Thanksgiving and my brother took it home to read. He never reads any books but when he thumbed through it, he asked if he could borrow it. The inspiration ripple goes on! :)

Bill Graham said...

Well, you know me: I cannot be inspired by anything other than a Derek Rose dunk in traffic. But I am good at genshai. And I promise to look/read the book, but I'm not saying when I'll do that by. Too much laundry, dammit....