Sunday, January 9, 2011

How to Spend a Cold Afternoon in January

I spent Saturday afternoon watching dog sled
demonstrations! Earlier in the week all our snow had
disappeared. But fortunately it snowed yesterday and a bit
more overnight giving us a light layer of snow on the ground.

This is Kiowa, a 7 month old husky.
She was the star attraction in the warmup tent.

This husky chilled out while Kiowa handled
the meet and greet duties.

Husky toys were on sale in the warmup tent for those
who wanted to take a husky home with them! Sample
dog treats were given out to all pet owners who attended.

Outside again, this husky looked ready to run!

Before the dog sled runs began, there was a talk.

This photo shows a typical sled a team will
pull. The musher stands behind it where he
can operate the foot brake when needed
and shout directions to the dogs.

This view shows the dog's harness.

Here's a short captioned video I made of two of the dog sled teams in action.

I enjoyed my dog day afternoon. Bye, bye!


Liz said...

The closest I have ever seen to these is on tv. I would have been aww if I got the chance to see them upfront like that. :)

Liz said...

I shown this post to my Mum yesterday. She loved the photos and video clip.