Thursday, January 13, 2011

Baking with a Pie Bird

Have you ever used a pie bird to bake a pie? Pie birds are ceramic and used to vent steam from pies to prevent juices from bubbling over the pie dish and spilling in the oven.

There's a debate over which came first the pie birds or the nursery rhyme about four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie as they're obviously connected.

I recently baked an apple pie using a pie bird. Here's a video I created to show you how I did it.



Bill Graham said...

I love the video. You're good!

Frieda said...

You did a GREAT job on the pie AND the video! I've baked for years and have never seen a pie bird before. Where did you get it?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, everyone.

@Frieda - this pie bird came from ebay, but you can google "pie bird" to find other places to get one.