Thursday, June 10, 2010

London: Weather and Food

We had fabulous weather during our visit to London. The locals kept commenting on how unusual it was. Some even gave us credit for bringing it with us.

In this photo you can see London's most famous landmark, the clock tower for the Big Ben bell. Our hotel was located right nearby, so we passed this icon every day. I was thrilled to be able to hear it ringing amid the noise on the busy street.

In the days before we had left, I had frequently looked up at the blue skies at home and wished aloud to bring them with me. My wish came true!

This photo is of a gate at Buckingham Palace. I took it simply to show off the gorgeous blue of the sky that day.


This photo shows the South Bank lion also located near our hotel. I took this photo from the double decker bus which is why the window glare appears. Even with that flaw, I still like this photo for the beautiful blue sky it depicts behind the statue.


This was my first English breakfast. I especially enjoyed the button mushrooms. The other food items in this photo are fruit, yogurt, croissant, beans, sausage, and decaf coffee. Oddly enough, I didn't drink a single cup of tea in London although I am a tea drinker at home.


This was Charlie's first breakfast. He especially enjoyed the sausage and bacon. In this photo you can see the salt and pepper shakers. To our surprise, the shaker with one hole was for salt and the shaker with several holes was for pepper. At home the salt shaker always has more holes.

I especially took these photos for Virginia and Jonathan. Virginia sent me a funny postcard about English breakfast before we left and Jonathan emailed me an interesting story about an 8,000 calorie English breakfast.


This photo shows my son's favorite dinner option: gammon steak. We both ordered it the first night. I assumed it was beef. When it was served, I was concerned about how very PINK it was - thinking it was severely undercooked. Then I discovered that gammon steak is ham.

8 comments:

kym said...

All that breakfast meat! My goodness...heartattack on a plate...lol

Nice photos and glad to read your trip was awesome and the weather held out for you both.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
I will have to forward you the email about the 8,000 calorie breakfast. It featured 10 eggs, 10 bacon, 10 sausage, 10 toast, 5 black puddings, tomatoes, beans and mushrooms and a warning from the British Heart Foundation!
Anyone else interested in seeing it, drop me an email or leave me a comment.
Sarah

me said...

Hah, I miss gammon we can't buy it here.

English breakfast is very similar to a Canadian one. I have to comment/criticise though, croissants and yogurt??? not very English at all. You needed beans and black pudding and saute potatoes to complete your plate of cholesterol. I have to point out that a full English breakfast is rarely eaten, special occasions or when you are going to miss lunch.

I'll have to look at the cruet sets here, I hadn't noticed the difference, maybe it's not different in Canada.

Glad the weather was good, looking forward to more photos

Liz said...

I could not hear the Big Ben clock.
I did not even know it went off, even when Richard told me.

Richard was surprised it wasn't loud as he thought it would be when we were there. As they do a loud bong on tv for News At 10, when they feature Big Ben. And he said that sounded nothing like it.

Jonathan said...

Ha ha, thanks for the picture!

I didn't know that the Brits do grilled pineapple. I would like to try that. How was it?

I didn't know that gammon was the same as ham. Ha ha.

Funny how unfamiliar English words can trip us, eh?! Did you stumble upon "Mind the gap" announcements on the tube (translation: subways)?

And, my gosh, you're so lucky to have such good weather in London. I don't recall visiting London with such blue skies, but I did see them down on the "sunshine" coast, which is to the southeast of England, where I lived when I was studying abroad.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Me,
Nice to see you on my blog again. I am looking forward to reading your new blog very soon!

Thanks for your comment. I didn't actually intend to say my breakfast choices represented a typical English breakfast - I just wanted to identify the items in the picture.
All the best,
Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Awww, Liz. I'm sorry you didn't hear the bell. Perhaps if you were there at night when the streets were quieter, you would.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

The pineapple was delicious, Jonathan. Really it should have tipped me off that it was ham being served and not beef.

I remembered the "Mind the Gap" warning from my first visit to London in 1986. This time I even took a photo of it written on a tube platform. "Way Out" for exit was hilarious to me back in 1986 but not so much this time.

This was the best English weather I have experienced.