Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Did You Know?

Have you seen this thought provoking video? I think it has huge implications for all those who work in higher education and definitely for all of us parents. Take a look (no captions needed as all the text appears on the screen) and let me know what you think.


Jonathan said...

That's a great video clip.

I saw a video clip shown at a SmartBoard workshop that I attended last spring. It delivered interesting statistics like this one in an eye-catching and jaw-dropping manner. I wish I could remember what it was so that I could recommend you to see it. It spoke about how technological changes was impacting our lives and how our educational system is built on the 1950s ideas.

It's crazy to think of just how fast the world is changing as we live in this era!

Just yesterday, I spoke with my hearing aid dispenser about possibly getting a new set of hearing aids in the fall. He suggested that we get together in July because by then many new products would have come out. July is only five months away!

How will we deal with informational anxiety?


SpeakUp Librarian said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the video, Jonathan. Could the video you saw at your workshop be A Vision of Students Today by Michael Wensch?

I deal with information anxiety by tuning out a great deal. I try to take in information that is personally meaningful. I prefer to be up-to-date on what's happening in my closest friends' lives rather than keep up with celebrity antics (an American obsession). But this approach also means I often miss out on breaking news. I don't regularly read newspapers or magazines anymore. I get my news information from the Web. I enjoy reading blogs for fun.

You sound very excited about getting new hearing aids. Are you looking for a different type or one with a new feature [ex: blue tooth compatibility]? May I ask how long you've had your current hearing aids?


jelly said...

That was really cool Sarah.
I finally had a chance to watch it and it is amazing how many changes we are about to face and how things have changed so much since the 50-60's.
The way we think, what we do, how we do it is all so different! This is in my opinion, one of the best times to be alive...of all the things I've seen in my lifetime alone, can't compare to other time periods.

Thanks for posting that...really neat.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I'm so glad you liked it, Kym. Very cool image!!!

Mog said...

That was interesting viewing. We do live in an exponential world, I like that phrase. How much does the desire to have the latest technology increase the amount of waste we produce? How much does it contribute to pollution and global warming. I belong to the make it last school, if it still works, then don't replace it.

The impact on education is enormous and shows how much we need continuing education in our lives. Sadly so many people now don't seem to have had a even a good basic education, especially, spelling, grammar, numeracy.

I wonder what the point was of showing birth statistics for India China and the US. I find their inclusion rather worrying.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Mog,
Welcome to my blog. I just visited yours and love it. I'm now a follower.
Re: statistics on India and China. I think they were included to jolt Americans out of their complacency. To generalize, we Americans like to think we're a superpower and always will be when maybe the facts show otherwise... Our children will face some tough competition from their peers in China and India.
Thanks again for your insightful comment, Mog.

ms toast burner said...

Hi Sarah,

Interesting video.

Though I think technology is wonderful I generally think it is hyped waaaay too much. All this increased access to information doesn't necessarily make us humans any more intelligent, does it?

I have oodles of access to information and technology and I continue to make poor decisions, turn left when I should have gone right and so on! It makes screwing up even more embarrassing... haha. ;-)

I cope as you do. I tune a lot of stuff out and I've become highly selective in my use of technology. Plus, I receive great pleasure and knowledge from non-techie things which gives me grounded perspective (I hope!).

BTW, I found your blog via Mog's site and I've just some time reading it over It's great! I am hard of hearing as well but my blog doesn't really focus on that.

- Marnie

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Marnie,
Welcome to my blog. I can totally relate to what you said about making mistakes. Even with the ability to check my bank balance online, I just bounced a check. Ugh! Sometimes I think we just have too much to think about these days!
Thanks again for your comment.