Friday, February 6, 2009

Deaf Contestant on the next Amazing Race


The Amazing Race begins again on February 15th at 8:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m. Central). I'm very excited that this season features Luke, a 22 year old deaf contestant, running with Margie, his hearing mother. On their bio page at the CBS website it says "Luke hopes to be a role-model for deaf people everywhere while proving that the deaf can do just about anything and to never think otherwise."

The website also has an interview video where the pair discuss (Margie signs as she speaks and interprets her son's responses in ASL) their team strengths. I loved their comment, "We can strategize in front of other teams. They won't know what we're saying." That should be fun to watch!

Luke is a huge fan of the show and is very knowledgeable about how the race works. His mother Margie comments in the interview video that he will be good at reading the clues and remembering every part of them. Last season's racers struggled with that crucial part of their performance so I think that bodes well for this team.

I'll see you at the starting line to cheer on Luke and Margie!

5 comments:

kym said...

I usually don't watch this show, but I may have to tune in to watch Luke and his mom.

Thanks for the update.

Kym

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
I love this show. Once the season progresses, I really get behind some teams and feel really annoyed by others. The tension is incredible in some episodes. It's probably the hardest way to travel - finding your way around a foreign country while racing to do it the fastest. I enjoy watching it with my son so he can get a glimpse of other cultures.

I have been wondering how it would be to race with a hearing loss. It might be an advantage as it takes patience for deaf/hoh to communicate and the hearing people on the race are always in a rush.

I think there was a deaf racer on a previous season which I didn't see.

Frances said...

I'm with Kym I don't normally watch the show but I will definitely tune in to root them on.

Thanks for letting us know.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Great, Frances. Every week after the show airs I write a little summary. It will be even more interesting with a deaf contestant. I can't wait to see how the hearing teams relate to Luke and Margie.

Deb Ann said...

I gotta tell my children about it! Thanks for your heart to post it
:)
I also gotta mark my calendar