Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Captions Set Automatically to ON

I just learned this really cool tech tip about a piece of HTML code that will turn captions on automatically when you embed a closed captioned YouTube video onto a website.

Simply add to the embed code
&cc_load_policy=1
after the movie URL and inside the quotation marks.

I did this for a short video I made for my job and it really works. A viewer still has the option to turn the captions off, but what I like is that the default setting is for accessibility! To find out more and see an example, check out YouTube's help page Showing Captions by Default.

3 comments:

Xpressive Handz said...

Sarah, thank you for this wonderful tip!

Shanna Groves said...

Sarah - Thank you for the great tip. Do you mind if I repost to my blog http://LipreadingMom.com?

Blessings,
Shanna

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Shanna,
That would be great.
Please check out my latest post on captioning.
I would love to have your support on it.
Take care,
Sarah