Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Little Late to the Julie & Julia Party

This weekend, my husband and I watched the film Julie & Julia. If you haven't seen it yet, this movie is about a young wife named Julie who takes on the challenge of making every recipe, 524 of them in all, from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in the space of a year. At her husband's suggestion, she blogs about her experiences, both disasters and successes.

Almost everyone I know has seen this movie and recommended it. I don't know why I waited so long to see it. I guess it was hard for me to imagine Meryl Streep as Julia Child. I'm just old enough to remember Julia Child's first cooking series on TV and to have a fixed idea of what she looked like. But I needn't have worried, Meryl Streep drew me in right from the start of the movie. Of course, I've loved Amy Adams, who plays Julie, since I first saw her in Enchanted.

This movie was utterly relaxing. I found myself enjoying learning about Julia Child before she was "Julia Child" and I'm eager to read the biographical story, My Years in France on which half of the movie was based. I've been to France myself and have memories of their wonderful food. When I was there, I felt as though my stomach were smiling. To share that with my family, last night I made croque monsieur, the only French dish I know how to cook. Don't be too impressed. It's only grilled ham and cheese.

Did you know?
  1. Julia Child's first cooking series was the first television program to be captioned for the deaf.
  2. The movie Julie & Julia is the first major motion picture based on a blog.
Information obtained from Wikipedia.


Anonymous said...

Your husband must be a lucky man to have a wife who picks out such fine movie fare.
Stanley Tucci is quite goo d in his role as Julia's husband. He radiates a quiet intelligence.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, honey.
Your comment will let the guys know it's not just a film about girls. Julia Child's husband, Paul Child, played by Stanley Tucci, is featured prominently in the film as well.
I'm glad you consider yourself lucky. You've made my day with that comment!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for calling me honey.

Glenice said...

Hi Sarah,

I enjoyed that movie too. While reading your post, I was thinking I might enjoy watching it again.

I just finished a book that I really enjoyed. I was going to post a note on FB, but I need to make some changes with my FB account. The book is "Look Me In The Eye" by John Elder Robison. Now I want to read his brother's book, "Running with Scissors."


SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Glenice,
I will have to look up those 2 books. I love that title "Running with Scissors". Sounds interesting.
Good to hear from you, Glenice.

Frieda said...

I watched this movie simply to see Meryl Streep play Julia. I agree that Stanley Tucci played his part of Julia's supportive and loving husband very well. I left the movie feeling hungry and ready to cook!

My hubby gave me the DVD for Christmas and I loved watching it again with captioning!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Frieda,

Thanks for letting me know your point of view. That is so interesting that the reason I was hesitating to watch it was the reason you wanted to see it. We both agree Meryl Streep did an excellent job portraying Julia.

When I watched the video with captioning, I was surprised that the occasional French phrases weren't captioned as foreign languages usually are at the top of the screen.

Do you enjoy cooking?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

It's me again. I just discovered your wonderful blog Lovin from the Oven!

Cheryl said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm glad you saw Julie and Julia. I loved it and have now seen it a couple times. It is what inspired me to start blogging; although I'm not nearly as faithful about it as you. Hope that Charlie is having a good start to his school year. Can't believe how they've grown. Tao is a year old this week!! Love to you all.

kym said...

Ha...maybe your blog will be picked up for a movie one day...hey, it could happen...a hard of hearing librarian and her adventures in the hearing world.

Yes, it was a cute movie. I read both books, I found Julia Child's book..."My Year in France" quite entertaining. She really was a character and a hell of a cook.

Augusten Burroughs is the author of "Running with Scissors" and he all of his books are fantastic. That is his most critically acclaimed book and it is also a movie. "Dry" was my favorite...his story on how he finally got sober.

And it is so nice to see you posting again...I've missed you.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Cheryl,
You have a blog? You've been holding out on me! I can't wait to read it.
Love you too,

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hmm.... Kym. What actress would play the lead role? LOL - that movie had better be a comedy that's all I can say.

Thanks for the additional info on the books.

It's good to be back.