Monday, September 20, 2010

Fall Treat: Concord Grape Pie

Concord Grape Pie

My son and I baked this on Saturday. It was our very first grape pie. We enjoyed making this pie together. The basic recipe directions we followed can be found at

Concord grapes

This project started when I bought some luscious looking grapes at a farmers market. I had never purchased Concord grapes before. When I bit into them, the juice tasted sweet but the skins had a bitter taste. I knew my family wouldn't snack on them like we do the less flavorful seedless green grapes. I decided to look online for recipe ideas.

I found a recipe that I had all the ingredients for except an unbaked pie shell. So we quickly rolled out some pastry dough ourself. Most of the work making this pie came from separating the grape skins from the pulp and then later pressing the cooked pulp through a sieve to remove the seeds.

This pie smells heavenly while baking. Your hands will also have a nice fruity scent from handling the pulp. While the pie was in the oven, I got out two grape motif heirloom plates from my grandmother to serve my son and me the first pieces of our dessert. Cooks privilege and no one else was around the house at the time.

I think this pie looks as delicious as it tastes. This just may be a new annual fall tradition at our house.

1 comment:

Linda said...

The pie looks delicious. What fun to try out a new recipe! Serving the pie on your grandma's lovely plates must have made it even more enjoyable.