Thursday, September 30, 2010

Travel Opportunities with Discovering Deaf Worlds

Would you like to join Discovering Deaf Worlds on an international adventure that will connect you with deaf people and signers around the world? Well, here is your chance to take the trip of a lifetime to Costa Rica or Thailand and Cambodia.

DDW has partnered with socially conscious travel company GoPhilanthropic to offer innovative travel opportunities that combine culture, adventure, accessibility, and a way to contribute to international deaf communities.

As part of the DDW: Journeys program, you can zip-line through the treetop canopy of a Costa Rican jungle, visit a colorful floating boat market amidst the city canals of Bangkok Thailand, and explore the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat in Cambodia. At the same time, you will meet with deaf leaders along the way, learn about the issues they face, and participate in local efforts working towards solutions.

All trips will be fully accessible to deaf and hearing travelers with guides fluent in English, American Sign Language, and the local sign language of each country (Thai, Khmer/Cambodian, and LESCO-Costa Rican Sign Language).

Additional information including the trip itineraries are available at the GoPhilanthropic website. This article came almost entirely from the DDW blog.

Personally, I would love to take the Costa Rica trip. Is anyone else interested?


Jonathan said...

Very cool, Sarah!

I'd like to do all three! I'm not sure which one I would pick.

I am also waiting to find out if International Federation of the Hard of Hearing Young People (IFHOHYP) organization and the Japanese version of IFHOHYP will be hosting a Summer Camp program somewhere in Japan for next summer. I just learned earlier this week that it is now a possibility! :)

I had such a fantastic time at the IFHOHYP Summer Camp in Switzerland last July!

Being able to enjoy my travel experiences with other people who can communicate with me through sign language and/or spoken language and the knowledge of how to communicate with HOHs was phenomenal. I totally encourage you to try it out, if you haven't yet.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jonathan,
As we talked about on Facebook, it would be great to share the story of your summer camp experience with my blog readers.
I find the Costa Rica trip very tempting as it includes a horseback ride to a waterfall where you can go swimming. I think the zip line would be really fun too. All in all, an amazing travel adventure combined with the potential for increasing deaf awareness - what a combination!