Friday, May 28, 2010

Hearing Aid Care in Summer


A reader wrote to me yesterday and asked for tips on taking care of his hearing aids in the summer. With sunny days and rising temperatures in the forecast, this is a timely topic to discuss.

Two basic things to avoid with hearing aids are heat and moisture. Where I live in the midwestern United States, the summer months bring increased exposure to both of them. Fortunately we can be proactive in protecting our hearing aids.

I found two resources online today that I found useful. As always, readers, if you have any advice or personal experiences to share, you can brighten my day by adding a comment to this post. notes there are additional risks to hearing aids in summer from the increased humidity in the air, moisture from body sweat, and potential for accidental falls into swimming pools. This site recommends using a paper towel or napkin to wrap around your hearing aid. If you plan to visit an amusement park, take along a zippered plastic bag to keep your hearing aids safe on water rides. To read the complete article which includes links to available products that may help, click here. points out that excessive moisture can cause distortion, static, and other problems. Helpfully the site offers some common sense tips for combating moisture including these:

  • Open the battery compartment at night to allow air to circulate.

  • Wipe your hearing aids with a tissue as needed during the day.

  • Do not leave your hearing aid in direct sunlight.

  • Do not attempt to dry an aid with a microwave or hair dryer.

To read the complete article, click here.

My reader was particularly interested in keeping his ear molds dry. My hearing aids don't come with ear molds so I don't know what might work for this. I found this site that explains how to clean hearing aid ear molds. Does anyone else have any tips for him?


Frieda said...

I live in Utah, a dry, desert climate, which are great for hearing aids! I never had a problem until I went on a cruise. My hearing aids picked up a ton of moisture and salt. My audiologist suggested a box that holds your hearing aids at night, drawing the moisture out.
If your reader is experiencing moisture on his molds during wearing, it could be a slight allergy to the plastic. I have a small hole drilled into the base of my ear mold to allow some air circulation, which seems to help.

Anonymous said...

I wish he'd said whether they're soft or hard, but..
My hearing aids hav soft molds, a soft rubber. As for keeping them dry... as far as I can tell, don't worry about it. Really, be more concerned about getting moisture in the tubing. If that happens, disconnect the tubing and use a little puffer to blow air through it. If your molds are wet simply wipe them off as if cleaning, soft dry cloth.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Frieda,
Thanks for the advice on drilling a hole in the mold. That just might do the trick!
P.S. I use a box like yours too to keep my hearing aids in at night. I purchased mine from my audiologist.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for your advice, Anonymous. Did you get the puffer from your audiologist when you got your hearing aid or is that a separate product you bought for yourself?

Liz said...

I use a puffer as well for mine. They are very handy. I also have a hole drilled in my hearing aids too. But you will still experience some moisture still. But I feel it helps me having a hole in my moulds than without. The puffer you can buy from Opticianr. That's wear I got mine from. But there are mail order companies here in th uk like Connevans that sell them too.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Liz.
I will have to look into getting a puffer.

Justin said...

Hi Sarah,

My earmoulds are the soft, clear ones.

I think I might have to get a "puffer" and blow the tubes out? Is it hard to get the tubes off and back on again, after? Luckily, I've heard of those sweatbands, and also haven't had any moisture on my BTEs themselves, just in the tubes a tiny bit, and the earmoulds' outsides get kinda slippery... XD

You've been a help indeed! :)

Thank you, and everybody, and peace always,

Danielle said...

Dry & Store is the key!!!!! It was so hot the other day. At night I took my aid out and put it right & the Dry and store. They are costly but SO WORTH IT and lasts forever.... Check out the website.
You can even put your CI'S in them. All u got to do is replace the Dry-Brik when it runs out it last about 2 months.

kym said...

My ears itch ALOT in the summer because of the dampness in my ear when I wear my aids...I dry them as much as I can and keep them super clean.
Good tips!!

Liz said...

I have itchy ears sometimes with the summer too. When I'm at home and I have the opportunity, I remove my hearing aids a bit to let air circulate. It helps alot.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!!!

My friend Julie emailed me with the following info:

I wanted to let you know that I use a dryer made for hearing aids called Zephyr. It is made by the makers of Dry & Store. The website is I got from my audiologist. I use it every night. I even take it with me when I travel. It is compact enough to put in a suitcase.

Jonathan said...

Puffer?! Ha, I've always called it ear blower. But, I may call it puffer from now on.

I had forgotten about the tip of leaving the battery door open at night time.

I actually am pretty abusive with my hearing aids. I don't think about moisture or what not even though I live in a very moist area in North America (thank you Great Lakes!).

And, actually, I've started working out on a regular basis at the gym in the last year or so. So, I'm sure my sweat isn't doing my hearing aids any favour. I wonder if I should get sweat bands designed to cover my hearing aids. Have you heard of these products?

But, I do sometimes wear a cap while I'm working out at the gym, which seems to contain whatever sweat is coming down my head. Gross, I know, I'm sorry.