Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Vacation Nightmare

I have become obsessed with Eyjafjallajokull, the Iceland volcano that first erupted and shut down European airports for days in April. Lulled into thinking it had calmed down, I had actually started to relax and breathe easier when it sent up a new ash cloud this week which drifted over Ireland. Since then I have been compulsively checking Google throughout the day to see what the volcano's current status is. That's how I came across this video by the Corrigan Brothers which expresses my frustration and worries about my upcoming London trip exactly. [Unfortunately, it's not subtitled, so I have included the lyrics below. I find the song plays best LOUD and on full screen.]



Ohh watching the weather get windy
Blowing the ash down towards me
Planes on the ground are not going
We can't go tooing and fro-ing
A friend of a friend he got stuck there
An airport the far side of no where
Credit card maxed out and NO CASH
VOLCANO STILL PUMPING OUT BIG ASH

La-ah-ah, lalala la la la
Ah-ah-ah, lalala la la la
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."
ANOTHER friend he took a bus trip
5 days to drive across Europe
He got to the ferry port Monday
The ferry had sailed out on Sunday
A friend of a friends stuck in Greece is
The economy's falling to pieces
He needs to get out of Athens
Before something the eventual happens

La-ah-ah, lalala la la la
Ah-ah-ah, lalala la la la
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."

Ohh watching the weather get windy
Blowing the ash down towards me
Planes on the ground are not going
We can't go too-ing and fro-ing
La-ah-ah, lalala la la la
Ah-ah-ah, lalala la la la
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."

And if there's anyone left out there
Who needs to get back in the air
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."
"AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul."

I found these lyrics here.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Like you, I wasn't expecting it to cause problems again.

I have my fingers crossed for you Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Liz!!!!