Thursday, May 20, 2010

Let's Ask Mr. Dyson

I was quite amused today to read this article online today: How would you solve a problem like Eyjafjallajokull? I've always liked that song from the Sound of Music and applying it to my current obsession, the infamous Iceland volcano, while admittedly a mouthful, is catchy.

For quite some time now, I've thought the solution to the problem was pretty obvious. Call in Mr. Dyson, of course. For those of you who don't know the name, he's the engineering genius who created a line of vacuum cleaners known for their suction. You can read more about him here.

Surely, he would be up for the challenge of creating a volcano capacity vacuum with a super absorbent ash filter. In the article I mentioned before, someone suggested we ordinary folks get out in force with our standard vacuums, but I think that idea falls short. An ash cloud of this magnitude requires an expert, don't you agree?


Frieda said...

Yup ~ I got a good chuckle when I saw a cartoon with Sponge Bob hanging upside down from a helicopter, hovering over a large oil spill in the ocean...

SpeakUp Librarian said...

good one!