Saturday, May 8, 2010

Holland Michigan Tulips

Fields of tulips at Windmill Island Gardens

Tulips surround boy and girl figures at Dutch Village.

The garden beds have numbers displayed so tourists
can purchase bulbs from Holland (Europe) of the tulips
they like best. Photo taken at Dutch Village.


At Windmill Island Gardens, I'm standing next to my
favorite of all the varieties I saw today. I didn't
purchase any bulbs but I am holding a gift shop
bag containing a souvenir Delft thimble.


For years, my husband and I have been talking about
visiting Holland, Michigan during the Tulip Time festival.
We finally said that this spring we would do it. Who could
know that May 8th would turn out to be a cloudy, chilly,
blustery day? We went ahead with our plans and had a fun
day in spite of the weather. I'm sure these tourist locations
would have been much busier if it had been a nicer day. If you
would like to see more photos of our day in Holland, Michigan,
I have posted them to flickr. Click here to see them.

3 comments:

Frieda said...

I enjoyed my short three day stay in Holland many years ago. Unfortunately, it was not during the tulip season ~ how lucky you are!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Frieda,
Yes, as you can see from the photos on my blog, I love tulips. It was a real treat to see the tulips in bloom there. The next time we go, we want to spend time in downtown Holland. We saw tulips planted along the edges of the streets there - so pretty.
It was also fun learning more about the Dutch. I visited the Netherlands in 1986 and this trip to Holland, Michigan refreshed those memories for me.
Thanks for your comment and Happy Mothers Day to you!
Sarah

Cheryl said...

I loved your pictures of Holland, Michigan. I'm glad that you got to go. I hope that you are having a nice Mother's Day.