Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Site for Captioned Internet Videos

Update 12/28/2010: The website is no longer available. However, the funny captioned video at the end of this post is still worth a look.

Ask and ye shall receive. Matthew 7:7

Just last week at work, I was complaining to my coworkers about the lack of captioning for Internet videos. I get annoyed to find a video story online that I'd like to know more about only to discover it's not captioned.

Did you know that YouTube is the 4th most visited website in the world? Without captioning, this incredible source of entertainment and news is not fully accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing community. But now there's a new website called dedicated to providing access to YouTube videos.

The wonderful Bill Cresswell has teamed up with two other men, Jeff and Danyoul to provide this service. They accept requests for captioning through the forum on their website. They also offer an RSS feed so you can stay current with the videos they're captioning. Be sure to visit their site and if you like what you see, spread the word.

Below is my favorite video from their site. Everyone I've shared it with has gotten a good laugh from it. Enjoy!


Sam said...

what a funny video - bricks!! Anyway - I too get annoyed when someone sends me a link to a funny video but I can't understand it because of lack of captions. I will be visiting this captvids often!! Thanks for the heads up!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Sam,
Yes, that Lego Man is too funny. My teenage son and fan of Lego had a great laugh together watching it.
Glad I could help spread the word on this new site. Tell a friend.
All the best,

Anonymous said...

Hello and thank you for the kind words. Please feel free to make requests in our forum.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, we will! Hope you feel appreciated today!!!

jelly said...

Funny little Lego Men!!

You are so right about YouTube. I like to watch stuff on there but when there is no CC it makes it difficult.

I will check out this new site for sure.