Monday, September 7, 2009

Honest Scrap Award



My faithful blog commenter Jelly from Cuteness of Curiosity has awarded me this prestigious award. Now I have to come up with 10 honest things to tell you about myself. And try to make them interesting and worthy of your time. And hope you don't hate me after learning the TRUTH!


  1. I've always looked younger than my age. It was first commented upon when I was around 10 years old. Unfortunately instead of seeing this as a blessing, I've always been uncomfortable with it because I think people don't give me credit for being the mature person I am. (Don't laugh!) When I was assistant manager at a library branch in my late 20s, I remember eyebrows being raised when the circulation staff would bring me over when someone asked to see the supervisor. I looked like a teenager then. I've tried wearing my hair shorter and dressing in suits, but nothing helps. I'm destined to look youthful. Eventually, this is going to be wonderful. I would have thought it would be by now but no, not just yet.

  2. I can't stop biting my nails. Yes, I've tried. Over and over. I've had friends offer to take me to a salon for a manicure if I would only stop biting long enough to grow my nails out. Hasn't happened yet. Any suggestions?

  3. When I was in a country music phase, I was crazy for George Strait.

  4. In my college days I once attended a Whitesnake concert.

  5. I hate opera and ballet. They are too high culture for me. Refer to #3 and #4 if that seems hard to believe.

  6. I've secretly been obsessed with Jon and Kate Gosselin this summer. And the tabloids aren't writing all those articles just for me!

  7. I once had a boyfriend who enjoyed going to tractor pulls. Those super noisy events are the ultimate in boredom (after opera and ballet, of course. Just kidding). Surprisingly, that relationship didn't last. Oh, the noise my ears would have had to endure if we'd only made it work.

  8. I'm afraid of guns but I did learn how to shoot one several years ago. Target shooting was kind of fun, but overall I still don't like them!!!

  9. I haven't read all the classic literature you would expect a librarian to have.

  10. If you're still reading this, I'm amazed because who would be interested in all these confessions? But if you've persevered with me, here's my big secret: Wearing hearing aids has taught me that the world is just too noisy and loud. I prefer my private, quiet world better. I long for a hearing aid that will amplify the voices and sounds I want to hear and keep most everything else muted. Until then, I will continue to wear my hearing aids selectively.

Now I'm going to pass this esteemed award on to the following bloggers:

Tag, you're it! Here's the rules: 1. Link back to the person who gave you the award. 2. Forward the award on to other bloggers. 3. List 10 honest things about yourself. Have fun, ladies!

15 comments:

jelly said...

You did it.
Awesome.
And I still like you...your still groovy, even if you went to a tractor pull.

lol

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Jelly. I'm a midwestern gal, what can I say?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

P.S. No one has ever called me groovy!!!!

Steve said...

Number 4 is unforgivable - how could you!

l1zblog said...

Loved your post and thanks for nominating me, I've done mine. :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Steve,
Tee hee. I really liked their music and listened to it over and over back then. But most people didn't know that and would have been surprised because it doesn't fit that nice girl image people have of me.
Sarah

jelly said...

Librarians are very groovy.
You have access to all the cool books :-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Good job, Liz!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Oh, I thought you meant I was personally groovy, Jelly. I didn't realize I was groovy in terms of my profession. *deflated ego sigh*

Jonathan said...

@ #2, I've had the same issue from the time I was about 5 years old to the last year or so. I can now not bite my nail, but I've come to a realization that I have to learn how to trim them without biting them. So, I'm biting them to trim them.

My trick was: to keep my fingers or my mind busy with stuff. If I find myself being tempted to bite, then I'd hold a pen with that hand.

I just held it out for 30 days and then it was done! I used joesgoals.com to help me visually motivate myself to keep up with this goal of not biting my nails anymore.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, Jonathan. You are supportive as always. I am going to pick up a pencil the next time I feel that urge to bite my nails. What a great idea! I'll also check out that website. Thanks again,
Sarah

Jonathan said...

You're welcome. I hope it helps.

ms toast burner said...

Whitesnake! LOL!

;-)

deafdude said...

I bet lots of women are jealous you look younger than them! They will wonder what's your secret.

Try munching chocolate instead of your nails. Much tastier :)

I don't like guns either, they are very dangerous. You should read in the news about all those accidents! They are like playing with fire! *shudder at the gun and fire accidents*

Do you have an aided audiogram with your HAs in? Do you know how your HAs were programmed? They may be overamplifying your low and mid frequencies. Can you hear a constant hum or buzz noise with your HAs in? How much does your HAs improve speech? 5%? 10%?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Deaf Dude,
Ha, ha. My secret to looking younger is having young looking parents. I also moisturize my skin alot and stay out of the sun.
Re: my nails. I have been bringing in little snacks to work and that seems to help. If only I could munch on chocolate and not gain any weight - then that would be the way to go, definitely!!!

One reason I have such a strong reaction against guns is that when I was a child, the first person I ever knew that died was a child three years younger than me. He had been playing with a gun at a friend's house when it fired killing him. It was such a needless tragedy.

I do not have an aided audiogram. I asked for one when I went for my last test but was told they didn't do them with hearing aids in. :( I don't hear a constant hum but it's possible that they may be overamplified. I will ask my audiologist about that next time, thanks.